'Corrugated' finish with new bandsaw blade

I just installed a new bandsaw blade and after some test cuts I see I'm getting a corrugated finish to my cuts. The blade is cutting effortlessly through anything I have tried and I'm happy with it in that aspect.

In the photo I have tried to show the 'corrugations' I am getting after some test cutting with 1 1/2" hardwood. The photo is taken looking down on the cut

The blade is a 1/2" with 3 TPI.

Would this be normal with a blade like this ? Perhaps a higher TPI would give a cleaner cut.

I was wanting to have a crack at making some bandsaw boxes, I reckon a smoother cut would be better for those

Geoff

20211219_110814.jpg

• Like 1

A 1/2" blade may not handle the tight curves of a bandsaw box, but should certainly make a smoother cut. What you show makes me think the blade is tracking with the teeth a little too far toward the 'front' side of the wheel. That can let the blade pivot around a vertical axis a little behind the teeth, and the cut wavers like that. I have the best luck adjusting the tracking such that the bottom of the gullets ride the center of the wheel 'crown', or fall a hair behind it.

And higher tooth count blades are best used on thinner stock. Their smaller gullets clog with waste in thicker cuts, causing another set of performance problems.

Also, try slowing your feed rate, that often provides better control and a smoother cut.

• Like 1

I should have added that I also have a 3/16" blade for the curves of the boxes, I figured on using the 1/2" for mainly cutting the straights.

I did my best to set the saw up with the blade positioned on the wheel as you said ( I followed the Alex Snodgrass setup video).

I'll play around with the setup and feed rates and see what i can figure out.

Thanks for the info, at least now I know that it should be better .

I'll be back at it in a couple of days and I'll update this post

Thanks again

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/19/2021 at 1:06 PM, Coop said:

If you set it according to Snodgrass’s method, I’m assuming that you tensioned the blade per his instructions? Do you have the upper guide bearings set close to the surface of your work piece? Yeah, the cut surface should be WAY smoother than that.

I did my best to adjust the blade to his instructions, that being said I have increased the tension but cuts are still a bit rough

On 12/20/2021 at 12:15 AM, Chestnut said:

Surface should be better than that. I'm at a loss at what is causing it with out some hands on experience but tension is my gut reaction. That or the blade has some bad set.

What kind of band saw do you have?

It a Toolmac brand, just a generic Taiwanese saw rebranded to many other brands I imagine

On 12/20/2021 at 12:34 AM, JohnG said:

Some of those “corrugations” look like they are a tighter radius than should be possible for a blade that size. Are you using consistent feed rate throughout the cut or push/stop/push/stop etc? 

Doing my best John, only new to the game so I'm probably not the most consistent

On 12/20/2021 at 12:36 AM, Tom King said:

Has that blade ever hit anything but wood?

No Tom, it's brand new

On 12/20/2021 at 12:51 AM, RichardA said:

I'm thinking the tension is "part" of the problem.

Retensioning and also using the blade for a little while over the holiday break has improved the cuts a little

On 12/20/2021 at 1:23 AM, legenddc said:

Do you have the same issue with other blades? Would help if you know it's the blade vs. the bandsaw causing the issues.

Just swapped over to the other new blade I bought and the cut is a lot better, it is a 3/16 6 TPI blade