Share your loot!

JohnG

On 1/2/2022 at 10:06 AM, Immortan D said:

I've been working on my daughter's new home almost every weekend for the past two months. An endless list of repairs will keep me occupied for a while.

After that can you swing by my place?

Would be interested in seeing your whole setup and how you've organized everything. Right now I've been keeping like stuff together in the $1 plastic shoe boxes but some are getting a bit full.

• Haha 1

On 1/2/2022 at 12:26 PM, legenddc said:

After that can you swing by my place?

Would be interested in seeing your whole setup and how you've organized everything. Right now I've been keeping like stuff together in the $1 plastic shoe boxes but some are getting a bit full.

Right now this is how my setup looks like:

20220102_135905.thumb.jpg.46cfb0cc39641eea64b5294e9b6f2ba1.jpg

In the bottom case I have my circular saw, jigsaw, drill, oscillating multi tool, impact driver, a compact set of sockets and ratchets and a whole lot of hand tools and accessories.

• Like 1

On 1/2/2022 at 8:46 PM, Robby W said:

@h3nry That needs the new jealousy emoji!

I got a Hershey bar with almonds and a KitKat bar from my grandkids. They bought them with their own earnings. First Christmas that they used their own money for presents. It was really good!

That’s cool! You don’t know whether to frame them or enjoy them! My two favorite candies! 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, JohnG said:

Nah, I just ordered some outer boxes from them. Kerfmaker and tenonmaker on top, chopstick maker on the bottom.

I've always wanted a chopstick maker. Share your thoughts on it once you get it running I'd be interested to hear about it.

I've also wanted the pencil maker from Andy Kelin.

The chopstick maker is a definite “I’ve got money burning a hole in my pocket” purchase, at least for me. I didn’t even realize that Japanese and Chinese chopsticks are different until I got the kit. There are two versions, I got the Gen 1.

One of the main reasons I bought it is that it’s something that my kids can do (with supervision and assistance), and is quick enough that they can stay engaged in it. They don’t know how to use chopsticks yet, but they always like the idea of them when we get asian food takeout.

I made a set yesterday while our power was out. It was enjoyable (who doesn’t enjoy the peacefulness of taking light cuts with a hand plane?!). I figured that they would also be a unique gift idea for some. 

As expected with BCTW, the fit and finish of the kit are fantastic. It’s easy to use and everything works as it should. It comes with stock for making several sets of chopsticks, and it should be easy enough to make more. 

I see it as an occasional easy, fairly low focus shop time activity or project for visiting non-woodworkers that would enjoy making something for themselves.

Let me know if you have any specific questions and I’ll be happy to try to address them. 

BCTW also has a pencil maker, which my kids would likely get more use out of, but it’s significantly more expensive than the chopstick maker. On sale for $609! :o 

• Like 2

I use that hose in my shop.  For me, it's OK.  It's aerodynamically inefficient, but convenient.  I run a separate hose from each machine to the DC and each has a quick connect fitting.  I attach them one at a time when I'm using that machine.  (So I'm not crawling under machinery trying to share one hose).

What I don't like about this hose is that it has a fairly pronounced tendency to want to collapse, which tends to tug on the connections.  What I do like about this hose is that it has a fairly pronounced tendency to want to collapse, which makes it coil up nicely under the machine when not in use.

• Haha 1

10 minutes ago, legenddc said:

Didn't you also get the Rockler expandable dust hose? How are you liking it?

Yes it turns out the Expandable dust hose that was left on our front step was in fact my Christmas gift. I really like it. It does collapse down to a decent size that makes it easier to store but it's still kinda awkward. With the collector on the hose does pull on you a bit. Tug too hard like Mark mentioned and joints seperate (even with clamps)

I need to find a better storage spot for it. For now it fits between the table saw and out feed table pretty well.

1229211145-01-01.thumb.jpeg.f6c7d97e68da6d86faf9bae35826a392.jpeg

I also ended up buying a quick change handle and Bench Nozzle. They stay connected to the hose and I use this primarily to clean off my bench and tools.

Some time in the future I'll install a wye with a blast gate to give it a permanent home but for now I'm still trying to determine where that may be. To use it I'm just pulling the hose off my planer.

• Like 1

I have the same thoughts as both of you. Hard to store it, especially when it's attached directly to the dust collector. Will have to dig up some ideas.

I was debating on getting the quick change kit and the floor sweep one as well. I wish they had the floor sweep option without the handle. That bench nozzle seems like a good idea too.

3 minutes ago, legenddc said:

I have the same thoughts as both of you. Hard to store it, especially when it's attached directly to the dust collector. Will have to dig up some ideas.

I was debating on getting the quick change kit and the floor sweep one as well. I wish they had the floor sweep option without the handle. That bench nozzle seems like a good idea too.

I'd nix the quick change kit and just add those fittings. I'm not sure the kit offers much of a cost savings. https://www.rockler.com/dust-right-quick-connect-4-hose-port

I guess the ones with the worm clamp that go on the tool port are a bit expensive indicudually.https://www.rockler.com/dust-right-4-tool-ports

I'd probably just use the cheaper fitting and 3" of flex hose.

On 1/5/2022 at 11:06 AM, Chestnut said:

I'd nix the quick change kit and just add those fittings. I'm not sure the kit offers much of a cost savings. https://www.rockler.com/dust-right-quick-connect-4-hose-port

I guess the ones with the worm clamp that go on the tool port are a bit expensive indicudually.https://www.rockler.com/dust-right-4-tool-ports

I'd probably just use the cheaper fitting and 3" of flex hose.

I'll have to do more research. I have an old hose I saved to cut up. I want to be able to hook up the hose easily to my planner, bandsaw and spindle sander as well.

• Like 1