Best Bit For Boring?

Mark J

I want to drill a 1" diameter hole into end grain using a drill press.  I need an accurate 1" on the diameter and the hole will be at least 4" long.  It must be straight as it will take a 1" steel rod.

What kind of bit am I looking for?

A Forstener comes to mind, but no way is it long enough.  The augers I've seen are self feeding.

Unfortunately My Rockler is out of the long 1" Forstner.  Never seen a long Forstner before, but good to know they exist.  I did find a 4" extension for Forstners at Woodcraft (and they're closer).  That looks like the way to go.  Thanks for the help.

I have a smaller version of this for 3/4" dog holes and it bores a clean hole. I can't speak for it's dimensional accuracy though the 3/4" was right for hold fasts. I also can't speak for end grain quality.

My initial thought was a forstner bit as well. If you'd like I could try my 3/4" bit on end grain and check it for dimensional accuracy. OPn a 4" bore into end grain, no matter the bit I'd be concerned about it wandering of course a bit.

2 hours ago, wtnhighlander said:

Some reason to not use your lathe? The stroke will be longer than any drill press.

The DP has 6" of travel and a bigger better chuck.

2 hours ago, Chestnut said:

I have a smaller version of this for 3/4" dog holes and it bores a clean hole.

That looks like an awesome bit, but I'm guessing that's an online only item.  I'll keep it in mind, maybe they sell a small set.

I just returned from Woodcraft where I bought a 4" extension.  Tom your point is noted and I'd rather the long Forstner you suggested or Chestnut's Wood Owl, but....  I will probably start the hole using the Forstner alone, then install the extension and finish the hole.  

• Like 2

On 1/3/2022 at 2:24 PM, Mark J said:

A Forstener comes to mind, but no way is it long enough.  The augers I've seen are self feeding.

They sell extension's for forstner bits I have a couple one for lamps and one for S&P mills.

Here's an example

https://www.amazon.com/Peachtree-927-Forstner-Bit-Extension/dp/B003UO7Y98/ref=sr_1_5?crid=8D3UYN82CH9N&keywords=forstner+bit+extension&qid=1641254299&sprefix=forstner+bit+extension%2Caps%2C102&sr=8-5

• Like 2

On 1/3/2022 at 5:58 PM, pkinneb said:

I did not use this exact extension but I used something similar that worked great for 3/4-inch holes that were 4-inches deep. The diameter of mine was just under 3/4 so it would not work on anything much smaller but at 1 inch I would think you should be good.