Stubby S750 belt change

alfredo R. Vionnet

I am attempting to change the old belt in my S750 and, while trying to interpret the poor instructions available, I ran into a problem in that the hand wheel doesn't seem to want to be removed.

The instruction tells how to remove the spindle plate located at the chuck mounting end.  Then, it says that one must remove the handwheel but I just cannot unscrew it, pull it with a wheel puller but nothing happens.  The man who sold it to me installed a vacuum point attached to the handwheel. It came out but the handwheel keeps a stubborn attitude but I cannot complete the removal.

Looking through the hole with a light, it seems to have a threaded (female) part but I'm afraid to damage it.

Part of the instructions state that the handwheel is friction mounted on the spindle but I can't remove to change the belt.

What am I doing wrong?1659316181_RJR_60041.thumb.jpg.c25e848c894b8d0ca7e6db8f7ee85e51.jpg

Alfredo,  I doubt anyone here besides you owns a Stuby (I could be wrong).  I know there are at lest a few Stuby owners that frequent the American Association of Woodturners' forum (aawforum.org).  Also I think the company is still making them, though it's an Australian company  https://www.omegastubbylathes.com/