USA made fasteners

JohnG

I order square drive screws from Custom Service Hardware  I don't know if they are US made but but I have put them through their paces and never had one fail.  Some of them have been used over and over in making different temporary jigs.  The country where it was produced doesn't alway garuntee quality, I had a box of deck screws US made about 7 years ago and they were a pile of crap.

• Thanks 1

On 2/13/2022 at 12:53 PM, Chet said:

The country where it was produced doesn't alway garuntee quality, I had a box of deck screws US made about 7 years ago and they were a pile of crap.

I realize that USA made doesn’t necessarily mean high quality, which is why I’m looking for recommendations for a specific brand. I want USA made and good quality. I’m trying to buy more domestic goods when possible. 

• Like 1

On 2/13/2022 at 11:53 AM, Chet said:

I order square drive screws from Custom Service Hardware  I don't know if they are US made but but I have put them through their paces and never had one fail.  Some of them have been used over and over in making different temporary jigs.  The country where it was produced doesn't alway garuntee quality, I had a box of deck screws US made about 7 years ago and they were a pile of crap.

CHS and HDL ard about the same depending on the price and sale. They both sell to commercial and residential shops. 

On 2/13/2022 at 1:13 PM, BillyJack said:

It depends on exactly what screw and size your looking for. Too many variations...

Wood screws, specific size doesn’t matter. Looking for a USA made brand that people have used.

Not decking screws, not drywall screws, not lag screws. 

Yes distributors... when working in cabinetry we have to depend on  screws. We don't care who makes them as long as they don't snap or strip. Reason many went to square drive. 

A lot of these companies you need an account for.  When I bought pocket screws I buy a case at a time.. installation  screws, cabinet screws, hardware screws, etc..

• Like 1

I’m not a commercial shop, I have different priorities and needs.

Let me clarify, apparently my previous posts were not clear enough. I am looking for recommendations of USA made fasteners that people on here have used and liked. If it’s not USA made or was not good quality, it’s not what I’m looking for. I am not looking for recommendations on decent Chinese made fasteners, or fasteners made anywhere else. 

You don’t have to agree with or understand my reasoning, but if there are good quality wood screws made in USA, that’s what I will buy. If there aren’t, which is possible, then I’ll fall back to the decent quality non-USA made stuff I can order online.

On 2/13/2022 at 2:33 PM, Chestnut said:

Spax, good screws. Buy in bulk here.

https://www.mcfeelys.com/screw-fastener-web-store/select-a-screw/bugle-flat-head-screws.html

If USA made is your thing they flag the us made ones.

Thanks! I had knows the Spax decking/structural screws were USA made but the big box stores around me don’t stock other types of Spax, so I didn’t think of them for normal wood screws. I’ll order some Spax to try out. 

• Thanks 1

Just curious what the shortcomings of the junk screws your using now are?

Also as a note, I'm pretty sure the McFeely's Promaster Plus screws are made by spax in the USA for some reason they aren't tagged as such. I really like that you can get the  #8 screws in philips & square combo drive.

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/26/2022 at 1:38 AM, Valleyslim said:

At the cabinet shop I work at. We use Deerwood fasteners. I like them and I think they are located in north carolina 

Deerwood is owned by Pan American Screw, and all of their brands are manufactured in China now.

They do have a facility in Conover NC.