Time to upgrade bandsaw

collinb

On 3/17/2022 at 3:42 PM, Chet said:

Release the lever on the back to change a blade, push the lever back up to tension the new blade and adjust as needed with the knob.  Easy Pesy.

+1 to this.  Its been an absolute delight to use the Laguna in the shop.  I ended up getting a mobile base for it as well.  Mainly because it sits in the area that can be cleared out to glue up large tables/panels/etc.  Been worth every penny so far. 

• Like 1

I got it set up today. Quite the beast.

I see only one short-coming in the design. Not sure about those plastic knobs on the guide adjustments. I've had plastics break on enough stuff over the years that they bother me.

Also, what method do you use to flatten the saw blade weld point? Just a file for a few passes, perhaps?

Only one thing funky about alignment. I got the table-blade just fine. But fence-table or -blade is way off. Thinking of a wood shim.

Also … dust collection connections. I have been using a friction connector for the table saw, jointer, router, and planer. But this 4” is apparently larger in diameter. How do you connect to it?

On 3/19/2022 at 3:17 PM, collinb said:

But fence-table or -blade is way off.

Look at your manual or some of Laguna's online videos, there should be some adjustment screws right on the knuckle (the casting) part of the fence assembly.

On 3/20/2022 at 12:08 PM, Chet said:

On my 1412 there is a set screw to make fence adjustments parallel to the blade.  You loosen the two black knobs and make the fence adjustment with the set screw (red arrow) then re-tighten the knobs.  It might take a try or two to get were you need to be.

My Laguna is about six years old.  I would hate to think they did away with the adjustment feature.

IMG_0639.thumb.jpg.84353bdf367033d733e2aa3a57e46597.jpg

Thanks. Didn't see it in the instructions. Sure is loaded with blue Loctite, as it ought to be!

On 3/19/2022 at 4:29 PM, collinb said:

Not sure about those plastic knobs on the guide adjustments.

I use a pliers on mine and they haven't broken yet. The threads are 1/4-20 or something similar so if the knobs break you can replace them with something off the shelf. ... Now that I think about it there are 2 different threads 1/4-20 and 5/16"-(18?)

On 3/11/2022 at 2:22 PM, collinb said:

Anything else I should consider?

Get the factory mobile base. I bought mine fall of '21, and used it quite a bit this winter. Love it.

You may or may not want to upgrade the guide system. Sometimes the sparks coming off of the ceramic blows my mind...lol

On 3/26/2022 at 6:53 PM, roughsawn said:

Get the factory mobile base. I bought mine fall of '21, and used it quite a bit this winter. Love it.

You may or may not want to upgrade the guide system. Sometimes the sparks coming off of the ceramic blows my mind...lol

I used a file to flatten the weld spot as much as I could but there are still sparks. Definitely a good reason for dust collection.