Oak light speckles after staining

Matt_g

Hi there,

Wanted to see if anyone else ran into this issue. When staining oak there are some places where the wood has "harder" speckles on it which do not stain well. Can anyone offer a solution? Sanded through 150, after the staining i saw these lighter spots which i sanded again with a lower grit (100) to see if that would help but it didn't.  

Thanks in advance!

20220509_102858.jpg

20220509_102856.jpg

Plywood or solid wood? What stain was used? Has a topcoat been applied?

The grain looks like it's getting close to rift/quarter sawn. It is possible that is ray flecking. This is just part of the wood. This is hard to see in your picture though and is just a guess.

Hi,

My guess it that it would not be the laminating process. The veneer was glued in house in a high quality press. I am familiar with the glue "contamination", and have a way of fixing it. It didnt work this time. This looks more like a harder part of wood, which like chestnut mention do appear to be ray flecking. The stain does not penetrate and stick well enough. 

On 5/10/2022 at 7:06 AM, Chestnut said:

All the more reason stain just makes life difficult. If you want wood that looks like walnut use walnut. If you want perfect even color use paint, or spray dye with an HVLP. If perfect wood grain is desired find some printed laminate material. Hand application of stains is going to require some acceptance of the natural variation of wood, there just isn't any way around it.

Sometimes it's easy to lose sight of this. Right now I'm working on a project with white oak veneer plywood and it's got me pulling my hair out a bit. It's been a reminder as to why I don't like working with commercial veneer plywood.

• Thanks 1