Porch Handrailing

Will have to wait out what looks like three days of rain before I can get back to this job.  The only thing I was able to get done out of the house was my weekly one hour mad dash to town shopping trip, and back right as the rain arrived.

My Mother's main entertainment, other than the TV, is watching birds eat.  We go through 80 lb. of bird seed a week.  Chickens to feed, and puppies to train to litter.

IMG_4077.thumb.jpg.4a48b6ddf71413d27b273841efe7f7a4.jpg

• Like 2

I was aggravated with my old Chinese drill press vise, so ordered a good one.  I need it to make the aluminum mounting blocks for the handrails.  I want them to be easily replaceable.  They will be held in place with machine bolts into alumimum blocks recessed under the ends.

IMG_4079.jpg

IMG_4080.jpg

• Like 1

I'm used to using blue tape when I do a fiberglass layup.  Then, I do the whole shoes even though I'm wearing old ones.  Aluminum goes everywhere when drilling it.

I keep some of those velcro on gaiters in the truck for when I'm running a chainsaw with short shoes on.

I really like this Wilton drill press vise.

IMG_4095.thumb.jpg.e1757a43bb20d7987b254b34436af91e.jpg

IMG_4094.jpg

• Like 1

On 5/30/2022 at 11:58 AM, Mark J said:

I use these bibs from Dust Bee Gone for wood turning.

I never knew this was a thing. Doing more research Shoe Gaiters come in all shapes and sizes, I'm now buying some for many reasons. I hate it when chips from the chain saw fill my shoes.

Sorry for the thread hijack, this thread has been interesting and informative. Also bird watching is interesting for people of all ages! I get more enjoyment from watching my feeder than most of the junk they put on TV these days.

It's a slow go, but if I make any progress every day I think I'll get them done.  

Today I set the anchors in the bricks on the house wall.  I did good not to drill any holes in brackets yet.  If I had made these brackets the same way, the anchors would have landed in a mortar joint.  I drilled small hammer drill holes to help the larger one start in the right place.  The first small hole told me the mortar is Type N, and not strong enough to support these anchors, so I dropped down in the brick below.

I found some socket head stainless machine screws in my accumulation, so will still almost be able to completely hide the mounting brackets.

I was able to get the holes close enough to use the leftover pieces of 1/1/2" bar, so I'll just keep the 1-1/2" plate for later jobs.  

I may run some Tapcons in the mortar joints if mounting the blocks don't seem strong enough with the low bolt.

This type of anchor is not dependent on an accurate hole depth, and still sets the threaded insert flush with the surface.  They're really strong too.

IMG_4113.jpg

IMG_4115.jpg

IMG_4116.jpg

IMG_4117.jpg

• Like 2

I have the blocks mounted on the house with all the mounting holes drilled and tapped for the handrails.

It's so pleasant on that porch, I think I'll set up with only hand tools to fit the railings.  I can just blow the chips off the porch with a cordless leaf blower.  That way also I can park the truck headed to the house right beside the porch, and hear the phone ring when Pam calls.

I'm going to use the junk juvenile wood I cut out of the center of the beams to use as sacrificial templates to fit the handrails by.

The bottom of these top brackets are going to show a little bit, and the lower rail will have its bottom edge below the rollock edge, but I'll do something with them, and people won't be looking at that end anyway.

IMG_4120.jpg

• Like 2

All set up on the porch, and the first ones cut to length.  No measuring, so I don't know how long they are.  First one fits just right, and is surprisingly stout just sitting there.

Neither end was exactly square, but by scribing the sacrifice template piece, it doesn't really matter.  After fitting the template ends, both pieces are squeezed to the ends, clamped, screwed together, and the clamp taken off.  One end is marked by the template, and cut with a handsaw.  The cut end is then clamped flush with the template, and the other end marked to be cut.

After I get them all cut, the next step is mortising out for the aluminum bracket blocks.

IMG_4123.jpg

IMG_4124.jpg

IMG_4125.jpg

IMG_4128.jpg

• Like 1

I'm hoping since all this wood is as dry as it will get here, that everything will continue to fit well.

When I was building new houses, the treated wood was always soaking wet, so I mortised handrails into posts, and the whole thing was assembled as the porch was built.

I don't have any pictures of that process, but you can see the mortises in these pictures of a house I built in 1991.  A small tornado hit that house directly, disassembling part of the porch, but with the mortises and no fasteners in the handrail ends, it all went right back together. 

You can see one of the handrail sections back in place in the second picture.  Every open space between balusters and on the ends exactly the same.  I'll show how I easily do that later in this thread.

DSC_0010.JPG

DSC_0017.JPG

• Like 1

I used a similar scheme to secure the handrail to the posts on my deck. Instead of aluminum, I drilled the post and glued in a short length of 1" hardwood dowel. With a router and jig I cut a mortice in the ends of the rails. The rails and spindles were put together in the shop and then the assembly was dropped onto the dowels with a blob of construction adhesive to secure it. It was easy, fast and accurate.

• Like 1

Other stuff to do yesterday, but back on this today.

It was maybe the most pleasant hand tool day ever.  77 with a light breeze off the water when I started, and only 80 when I finished this stage after lunch.

I'm disappointed that the brackets against the house are exposed because of the mortar joint, but my plan requires putting the brackets up, and off several times, so I didn't really want to use a Tapcon screw.

Next stage is to lay out, and drill the holes for the balusters.  A message came that their order had come in at Lowes, but a trip to town only found a box of 10.....

IMG_4140.jpg

IMG_4141.jpg

IMG_4142.jpg

• Like 1