Porch Handrailing

This job will be on hold for a few days.  Pam's Mother died, and she has to go take care of things, so I'll have to stay at the house 24/7 with my Mother and the dogs and puppies while she's gone.

No sympathy needed.  When one has lived a very long life, and leaves without a lingering suffering, there are no complaints.

• Like 1
  • Sad 6

On 6/17/2022 at 11:41 AM, Tom King said:

This job will have to hold for a while longer.  Pam came back last night after the funeral yesterday, but we have someone renting the house.  They don't have kids or pets, don't drink, and didn't complain about no balusters.   I was prepared to offer a discount, but they were so carried away with the place that it didn't matter to them at all.

Maybe in another week.

That is a rather spectacular setting and it's no wonder they jumped on it.

Since I'm having to wait a few days before I can do the next step, I ordered a couple of different kinds of Forstner bits to try.  The one I tried out of a Chinese set I had loads up with shavings, and I have to pick them out every hole.  I'll post pictures, and maybe even a video of how the different ones work.  The Amana has obviously tapered sides, so it should have less friction in the holes.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Tom King said:

Since I'm having to wait a few days before I can do the next step, I ordered a couple of different kinds of Forstner bits to try.  The one I tried out of a Chinese set I had loads up with shavings, and I have to pick them out every hole.  I'll post pictures, and maybe even a video of how the different ones work.  The Amana has obviously tapered sides, so it should have less friction in the holes.

I have a really nice set from Lee Valley that are made of HSS. If it doesn't say otherwise, they are probably carbon steel, which works well, but the least bit of heat kills the edge. Forstners are so easy to get hot. I've got mine smoking hot so many times, but it hasn't affected the hardness.

I got a little silly and bought a 29 piece set of Forstner/saw tooth bits that go up to 3" and have only used about 2/3 of them. But it sure is nice to have whatever size is needed. They are real quality stuff.

• Like 1

I've got the 16pc Freud set, though I don't think they're HSS, which has been a good spread with everything I've needed shy of a 3" which I bought separately. I've also got an old Ryobi set which work as beaters I can destroy when I need a rough hole that's nicer than a spade bit.

The Amana bit came today, so I tried it out.  No comparison to the Chinese one.  It cuts fast, clean, throws chips, and no drag in the hole-all different than the cheap one.  I can't imagine the Freud one will be any better, or that any one needs to be any better.  I'll rig up something to suck up the chips when I cut the 250+ holes. 

The people in the rental house wanted to know if they could continue their stay through the weekend.  I told them that they had been no trouble, didn't call me for anything, and if they did their own bed laundry that they could stay there as long as they liked for 300 (pretty big discount, but don't have to go through rental agent) a night.  They came back a little while later and asked if the Wives could stay through next week, and the men come back next weekend.  I told them that would be fine if they didn't mind me spending a little bit of time when they were on the lake to work on the handrails, and that the rails would be down for maybe a day or two at the time.  They didn't hesitate to say yes.  They had already said they want to come back next year, and I'm not worried about this bunch falling off the porch.

IMG_4165.jpg

IMG_4166.jpg

IMG_4167.jpg

• Like 1

The balusters finally came.  One box is broken open, and some are sliding out of the end, so who knows if there will be enough.  I didn't refuse them because I wanted them even if I have to order some more smaller boxes.

I decided to go simple, and just round over all the corners with a 1/2" round over bit.  That's done, so if I can work on them tomorrow, they'll get painted.  Maybe it really is getting closer.  It seems like it's taking forever, but it's hard to get any time at all away from the house.

All the puppies from the last two litters are gone now, so that will help.  When I'm working over there, I have to park my truck headed to the house, and get called back several times during any short work session to help Pam with my Mother.  I've been trying to get one step done each day that I can work.  Not many steps left now.

• Like 2