What is your dream project?

Pretty simple, Ronn...I just want to build a full size kitchen table, solid 2" oak from the slabs I have here at home, with 2" legs of some nice design. All joined with mortise and tenon joinery.

The way my back has been lately, I don't think I could handle the build without my overhead hoist. We don't have enough room for one, and I don't have any friends that are looking for one. So, unless I find a buyer, it might just be a pipe dream...

• Like 2

I like wood, and I like boats, but I want to use boats, and not work on them, so the two never meet here.  I do enjoy looking at fine wooden boats though, but never have had a desire to own one.

The closest I ever came was a Laser back when they had Mahogany rudder and daggerboard.  I remember one week refinishing them, while I watched some great wind on the water, but that was the only boat I had at the time.  That finished me and wood on boats.  Back then, marine varnish required many coats, and only one per day.  It was misery.  I used to live in a 77 Dodge van and whatever house I was building that year, and did a lot of sailing at night.  I traded a 1970 Olds 442 for that stripped version van with a slant six, and three on the column to keep tools in.  That van was $3700 new.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
On 5/22/2022 at 8:35 PM, Ronn W said:

What project of photo of a project or idea in your head inspires you? What would you like to be able to make someday.  What have you made that you are really glad you made?

Here is a photo the inspires me.  I think that it appeared in Fine Woodworking circa 2011.  Built by Steve Latta.  I don't have the skill to pull it off yet but this inspires me to develop.

How about you?

sideboard1-main.jpg.f808b598c54d8fcc2051d79d1ed1ff09.jpg

This is much easier to build than you may think that is may be.  It just takes time and materials, and the patience to do it correctly.

• Like 1

On 6/21/2022 at 5:42 AM, Agrund said:

A few years ago Frank Strazza posted up a jewelry box he made for his niece- it’s beautiful and it got me thinking I’d love nothing more to someday make something like it for my daughter.   

and then I want to make a raised panel book shelf.   Can’t draw for crap, and I haven’t spent enough time with SketchUp to be worth a crap, so the idea is just in my head for now.   Nothing too special, but If I could execute it just as I envision it I’d be super pleased.  

That's a nice project.  As for the drawing part of it.  Start by drawing full size front, back and side views on some kraft paper.  No need to worry about scaled down drawings or dealing with the frustration of learning Sketch up while you want to concentrate on you project. Pencil and a couple of  plastic drafting traingles ( one 45 deg and one 30/60 deg) is all you really need. Good luck.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...