push or pull for diy air filter?

i've ordered the filters and fans and im going to do this build.

He has the fan blowing inside the box so the dust collects on the inside of the filters (pull) as opposed to (push) where the fan blows upwards and the dust collects on the outside. He makes some good points as to why he does pull so dust doesnt get blown around in the shop nor having the dust that sits on the outside of the filter to get disturbed and possible get loose and float around the shop. However my thoughts are its only collecting dust from the top via sucked from the back of the fan instead of through 8 potential ways for the dust to get sucked it. Which do you think is a better setup push or pull

The only possible issue I see with that setup is that the fan runs in 'dirty' air, and will eventually fail from buildup of contaminants in or around the motor. In most hobby shops, that would take a long, long time.

Larger dust collectors run the fan 'dirty' quite often, but those fans are driven by a motor that is outside the air stream entirely.

On 7/6/2022 at 5:56 PM, wtnhighlander said:

The only possible issue I see with that setup is that the fan runs in 'dirty' air, and will eventually fail from buildup of contaminants in or around the motor. In most hobby shops, that would take a long, long time.

Larger dust collectors run the fan 'dirty' quite often, but those fans are driven by a motor that is outside the air stream entirely.

thats why he specifically picked that caterpillar fan because the motor is enclosed so no dust can get in the motor

• 4 weeks later...

There is no one definitive answer to this question. Some people might prefer to use a push filter because it is less likely to cause dust particles to become airborne. Others might prefer to use a pull filter because it is easier to clean. Ultimately, it is up to the individual to decide which type of filter works best for them.

• 5 months later...

I'm about to build an air filtration system along the same line but it's going to be (L x W) 63" x 30" with 3 MERV 13 filters on each side and a drum fan at one end.  On the other end I'll be able to coil the power cable.  It'll be on locking casters and height will be the same as my table saw so it can do triple duty as a platform for moving sheet goods, an infeed table and air filtration.  I'm going with pull for a few reasons:

- I'll be able to see the "dirty" side of the filters and have a visual reminder to clean or replace

- like you, I like the idea of having (16 x 25 x 3) 1200 sq. in. of surface opening on each side of the unit to draw dust into vs a single 255 sq in. portal through the fan.

- I think a laminar airflow out from the fan will lead to better overall air circulation than the turbulent flow that would come out of the box (and without directional baffles, the confused air being pushed into the box might reduce overall airflow)

- All the commercial air filtration units seem to use pull.  There must be a reason ...

If you've built it, which did you choose and how did it work?  Would love to hear more on the subject.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
On 2/28/2023 at 7:13 PM, Mark J said:

Do you find airflow from the exhaust fan much of a nuisance in the rest of the shop?

Thanks folks for the comments.  I'm new to this forum and your comments are very encouraging.

Hi Mark.  Much to my wife's amazement, I try to keep the floor of my shop reasonably clean so blowing dust around hasn't been a problem.  When I roll the unit in place, I try to direct the fan so it's blowing down one side of the shop to max circulation. 

One additional comment: as was noted and bothered me with the pull configuration, the dust accumulates on the external side of the filter.  Also, the filters are in there pretty snug and I realized would be a pain to take out for cleaning.  My solution is to roll the unit to the exterior door and with my shopvac outside, I vacuum them and all the micro stuff not captured by the shopvac filters goes the the four winds.

@Coop, I can't say that his videos cover a ton of ground-breaking info, but he has an entertaining way of explaining stuff with great clarity. An example:

Inspire Woodcraft is another channel that really examines the how and why of various woodworking technuques in great detail. Lot's of thought goes into these videos, like this example.

• Like 2

That's exactly the kind of saw guide I've used for almost 50 years.  It's easier to use one than not even when cutting stuff like roof sheathing.  I have several different lengths for different saws and cutting plywood the 8' or 4' way, plus one for trimming the bottoms of house doors.  Never had the need to buy a track saw.

When I get too old to manhandle a sheet of 3/4 plywood, I'm going to build one of his racks.