Last week I learned something new about wood

(apparently in my case) Wood allergies.

The only thing new this campout compared to others is that I burned up a bunch of excess poplar planks. Because they were there.

Hadn't heard about these allergies before, but apparently quite a problem. Went to both my dentist and (the diagnosis) oral surgeon this week to see what was going on in my mouth. If it were on just one side he would have leaned toward shingles. He also said that he sees 2-3 cases of mouth rashes from camping every year.

So now I have a 10- to 14-day bit of misery.

The lesson: Be aware of your fire woods and the smoke you may breathe just a little too much of. Less-than-pleasant may be your fortune.

• Thanks 1
  • Sad 3

On 7/28/2022 at 8:34 AM, Mark J said:

Are you also affected by poplar sawdust?

Not that I've noticed. But I (almost) always were a filter mask when working.

And the surface area contact from the smoke of a fire over several days would certainly be greater than my periodic shop projects.

• 1 month later...

My husband is also allergic to wood. Last year while camping, my husband got sick. He started scratching and coughing. We immediately went to the doctor, who said it was an allergy. We decided to google (never do that) and decided he was allergic to an LED. I ordered an LED flashlight on Amazon to ensure the diagnosis was correct. I bought this flashlight: https://www.amazon.com/Vont-Flashlight-Flashlights-Water-Resistant-Accessories/dp/B089T8HDBV . The flashlight turned out to be very good, but we did not find any allergy to the LED. Later, during tests, it turned out to be a wood allergy. For this reason, we no longer go camping, unfortunately.

• Sad 1

Sorry for your troubles.  If I saw a lot of cedar I get a weird throat sensation and want to swallow repeatedly.  After one experience I use protection when sawing or sanding this material.  Good tip on watching out while burning as I have a fair amount of cedar scrap in the burn pile from some recent backyard projects.  We sometimes use the scrap for the "social" fire pit when the grandkids are here and want to roast marshmallows.  I may just toss the cedar and poplar into the waste pile instead of the fire pit.  Thanks for the heads up.