Aspen? table top mess

Hey everyone, trying to refinish this table. I was told it is Aspen, but it looks more like pine to me. Since stripping off the poly, I’ve notice there is more yellow and grey then I notice before. Any thoughts on how to proceed? Would like to put an epoxy clear coat but unsure of how to get there from here. What you see has been stripped and sanded with 40-80 grits without much change. See the images below (hope the links work)

#1 #2 #3

thanks, Troy

Welcome, Troy! I don't think you will sand through that color. It looks like the 'blue' stain seen in 'beetle-kill pine'. I can't say if that is pine or aspen, but many light colored woods are subject to such staining. I believe it is usually from a fungus, and more likely to happen if the tree was felled while the sap was rising. My suggestion is to embrace it and move ahead, the denim-colored stain has a fair bit of popularity in certain circles.

• Like 2

I don't know about other types of trees, but a Pine log could be perfectly normal when it was cut, but if left laying on the ground too long, it will get that blue mildew in it, as well as if standing dead for some time after being killed by Pine beetles.  I don't think you can get it out.  I'm allergic to mold, so I won't even cut that wood if I see it.  It makes my nasal passages swell.

11 minutes ago, Chet said:

Plus Aspen usually doesn't grow to a size that would give you boards of that width.

Right. I don't think aspen normally grows more than about a foot in diameter. Although we stayed at a campground in the La Sal Mountains in southern Utah, south of Moab at about 10,000' elevation. There was a forest of aspens that were absolutely huge (for aspens). they must have been 18" - 24" in diameter. Never seen them that big anywhere else.

I have a friend who had beetle-killed pine flooring in his summer cabin. I think it was finished with just a clear poly. Tons of variation in color and light/dark board to board - lots of knots, too. I thought it looked nice in that setting, but it's probably not for everyone.

You could get an idea of what your table would look like by spraying on a coat of de-waxed shellac. If you like what you see, you can put the epoxy on over the shellac. If you don't like the color(s) or the amount of variation, you could try a gel stain - that should be okay over the shellac, and will work with an epoxy finish.

• Thanks 1

That is a very unique looking table. As stated above, I would embrace it. Continue sanding through all the grits up through 220 grit. Then apply 2-3 coats of poly. I don't think epoxy will give you any added benefit. Whether you put any stain on it first is your choice. Maybe you could do a test patch on the bottom.

• Thanks 1