Seneca Adapter and 500 Bits vs Devoted 700 Bits for Domino XL

TomInNC

I picked up a used Domino XL recently, and I do not have a 500. I have some projects coming up that will use Domino's in the 6-10mm range, so I will need the seneca adapter at some point. I was thinking of getting the domino 500 domino/cutter box to get started as it seems to be the best deal. This would leave me using the adapter and 500 bits for 8mm and 10mm. Is there any disadvantage to using the adapter with the 500 bit relative to just getting the 8mm and 10mm bits designed for the 700?

I guess the alternative would be to buy the 8-10mm bits for the 700 and just get the adapter and 6mm 500 bit separately. Does festool sell the 500 domino box without all the bits?

I have both. the 500 and 700. Each time I bought them I shook my head at the price. Now if either one goes down then I will need to replace it immediately. I have saved so much labor vs. mortice and tenon. I use the 500 a lot more than I use the 700. If I adapted either one to do work beyond the way the tool is designed it may over tax the tool. I would need to be comfortable that the tool was not compromised. Festool has a lot of various packages. What are you building that requires the bigger dominoes?

• Like 1

I will be using the larger dominoes on some upcoming slab table projects.

After thinking about this some more, I think the real question is whether I can use the 8mm tenons on 3/4 inch hardwood stock or if I really need to use 6mm. Would the 8mm leave the mortise walls too thin?

Since I don't envision using the domino with anything smaller than 3/4 stock in the near term, I wouldn't need to mess with the adapter for the smaller  cutters.

• Like 2

I'm a bit late to the game but there is a benefit to having the dedicated DF700 10 mm and 8mm bits. The extra plunge depth you can can be quite useful in many situations. I like to use the 8mm for frame and panel doors. This allows me to get some extra tenon in areas where there is a groove to help make the doors stronger than they righttly need to be.

the 6mm is the other size i use regularly. IMO the DF500 kit is kinda nice but at the end of the day you'll use half of it and the remainder will sit unused. It's more expensive per bit to buy individually but you'll save more money not buying the sizes you don't need.

I should note i use the 4mm quite a bit. It's really helpful for little projects like picture frames. I also use it for alignment on panel glueups no matter the size of material The domino is there for alignment not strength so i keep the allignment aid small.

On 8/15/2022 at 7:40 PM, TomInNC said:

After thinking about this some more, I think the real question is whether I can use the 8mm tenons on 3/4 inch hardwood stock or if I really need to use 6mm. Would the 8mm leave the mortise walls too thin?

This really depends ... softer less strong woods probably not. Really dense hardwoods like maple hickory or oaks your probably fine. I use 8mm in 4/4 material ALL the time, in fact its my go to size. I never mill my material to 3/4" though i stop when the face is clean but that usually ends up around 21-22mm thick. 3/4" is 19mm for reference.

8mm mortise in 19mm stock leaves 5.5mm either side that's around 3/16" which is a good amount. Properly glued in this should be fine. I've ran closer to the surface with dominoes frequently with no issues. Ultimate strength may not be as good but these joints are already stronger than 95% of what the furniture we build will ever see.

All above and the glue. Some of the modern glues are stronger than the wood. I have had fall off on the table saw of bread board ends. When just a sliver of the bread board end attached to the same thickness of wood going the opposite direction. The most vulnerable point of the glue joint intentionally broken the wood yields first. the glue is stronger than the wood. I use titebond 3.

I use the smallest domino when making cabinet face frames. Seems adequate. In combination with the glue.