Shop Door Idea - Hidden?

danbell78

So I am a basement shop dweller, not a bad set up given that it is a walk out basement and even has a small overhead door into the shop.  I am finishing the rest of the basement space and nearly done with that project one of the remaining areas that needs addressed is the interior door to my shop.  It currently has the standard hollow core raised panel door, even busted up a bit from previous owner, so it needs replaced.  I want to do something more exciting then simply replacing it with another cheap raised panel door.  One idea I had was to make it a 'hidden' door with a bookcase or such out in the finished portion of the basement.  I am a bit worried about that style door and it getting used as regularly as the shop door does, anyone have experince with the durability of those hinges or systems?

Another idea I had was an antique solid wood door, but I was shocked by the asking price the local salvage place wants for those (~$900 range).  So I am shying away from that idea, for that price I will try to build my own!  Any other unique door solutions out there?

Thanks

One consideration about a door between the shop and living areas is sound transmission.  I would suggest a plain solid core door decorated with mouldings etc to simulate a panel door.  You could even add a book matched veneer on the finish side.  Just use your imagination.  Good luck.

• Like 1

Secret doors are really cool, but do require some consideration. @Ronn Wmentioned the need to muffle sound, and sealing dust out of the living space is another. If you aren't planning to move parts and projects through this door, I'd say do the hidden book case style. There are plenty of places to purchase hardware kits, includung Rockler and Lee Valley. To fully understand the workings of the door, I suggest looking at a few DIY how-to articles or videos, such as this one( no affiliation).

https://medium.com/@miketipping/how-to-build-a-secret-bookcase-door-for-less-than-100-5670373b9268

• 8 months later...

This thread is old and just thought I'd offer my two cents on your shop door situation. First off, I get wanting something more exciting than a boring raised panel door. A hidden door with a bookcase sounds super cool, but I can see why you're worried about the durability of the hinges and system. I haven't personally installed one myself, but from what I've read, they can be pretty sturdy if installed correctly. Another option you might consider is a custom-built solid wood door. I know you mentioned the local salvage place had them for a crazy price, but have you checked out these interior mouldings? This website has some really cool offers for a more reasonable price.

• Like 1