Table frame glue-up suggestions please

Meatwad

I've got a narrow table, 12 in x 45 in, and I am putting the finish on the pieces. The next step will be gluing the frame up. The top aprons are MT joints while both the narrow ends have a smaller lower apron with dowel joints. At first I thought I could do the narrow ends by themselves one at a time and then glue them to the long aprons. That way I wouldn't have to manage so much at once. But now I am worried that my MTs could be off a little and I won't notice it.

Is there a good approach to this I haven't figured out?

Ok, I finally got all my pieces finished and got my clamps together. As far as I can tell I've got 2 options for glue timing:

1. Glue the narrow ends separately, 2 tenons and 4 dowels on each end, and then glue the long aprons as a separate step.
  2. Glue all of it at once.

I'm leaning toward the first approach because that's a lot of joints to check trying to glue it all at once and I'm worried about the glue setting in before I discover a problem.

And then my other option is gluing the frame legs up or legs down. Seems like legs up is easier but legs down lets me see if the legs are crooked where they meet the floor.

IMG_6309.jpeg

IMG_6310.jpeg

IMG_6311.jpeg

IMG_6312.jpeg

• Like 2

Legs up is the best way.  On a "flat" bench or table. All you need now is to use a square as you adjust the clamps, to get your legs in the position you need them to be in.  Once the legs are square to the flatness, now check all your joints, are they snug, are there gaps you need to fill.  Put paper under your work on the bench before you start your glue up, have a rag and a bowl of water nearby, cleaning up spills, and squeeze out.  Then take your time.

• Like 2

On 9/14/2022 at 7:05 PM, RichardA said:

Legs up is the best way.  On a "flat" bench or table. All you need now is to use a square as you adjust the clamps, to get your legs in the position you need them to be in.  Once the legs are square to the flatness, now check all your joints, are they snug, are there gaps you need to fill.  Put paper under your work on the bench before you start your glue up, have a rag and a bowl of water nearby, cleaning up spills, and squeeze out.  Then take your time.

The way you quoted "flat" makes me think you mean something different there :)

For tables I pretty much have what you see in my pic which is not quite long enough for what I need. I could scoot them together and use some scraps to even out my clamps but I'm not sure squaring them against that would be accurate enough. Maybe I could just measure squareness against the steel bar on my clamps?

I agree doing with your 2 step glueing process.  I almost never try to glue all 4 sides at the same time...  and I agrre/ legs up but you do need a flat surface.  I pieces of 3/4" MDF or flat plywood sould give you that if your glueing bench is not flat.   Shim the corners of the MDF and check with a straight edge to make it flat.  You can also cover you table saw and use that for your flat surface.  I use a piece of melamine with rasie curbs on 2 adjacent side that meet at a corner and I know that the raise curbs mee at 90 deg - helps in squaring up the piece.

Oops - looked at your picture -----In you case with a long piece - take the time get all 4 corners in the same plane as if they were a flat table.  It's time well spent.

• Like 1

Well I got it in the clamps finally on the last glue-up. I did wind up doing the narrow ends separately and everything fit together well. But on my actually glue-up for the long aprons my clamps started bending and after I got that settled I was chasing square all over the place on those legs. Unfortunately I'm not great at MT joints yet so my tenon shoulders aren't a good fit at each joint and that makes it pretty hard to see if I've got the tenons all the way in. So far so good!

IMG_6318.jpg

• Like 2

Dealing with a learning curve can sometimes drive you to drink.  { that's why I keep a bottle of Jack close by!  I don't have to drive to get it. }  Patience is the key to making a good M/T joint.  practice is the cure.....  You can take some scraps, and practice. It'll eventually become a muscle memory, and you'll question yourself less and less.  Keep trying.  

• Like 1

On 9/20/2022 at 10:33 AM, RichardA said:

Dealing with a learning curve can sometimes drive you to drink.  { that's why I keep a bottle of Jack close by!  I don't have to drive to get it. }  Patience is the key to making a good M/T joint.  practice is the cure.....  You can take some scraps, and practice. It'll eventually become a muscle memory, and you'll question yourself less and less.  Keep trying.  

Yeah I've gotten better at them the more I do them. I've learned that each method of doing them takes practice. First I started cutting tenons by hand and that was very time consuming. I do them on my router table now but at some point when I defined the shoulders I got my lines off a little so one side of my apron would be a little shorter than the other. I have accepted I am not great yet.

But this glue-up almost gave me a heart attack racing around checking angles.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...