Location of Floor Standing Drill Press and Mobility

TomInNC

On 10/11/2022 at 6:22 AM, TomInNC said:

I guess I should have added that I have actively been avoiding projects that would require the use of a drill press, and I would like to try to expand my horizons a bit. The drill guide is serviceable in some cases (e.g., drilling straightish holes), but it is a pain to use to do things like removing waste with forstner bits. 

Ah.  This is a different situation.  You are wanting the tool in order to expand the things you are doing.  With the price of the Delta 18-900 going way out of scope I would look to the Voyager.  I almost shop drill presses as a hobby since they are generally so poorly made and so over priced.  The early Voyagers rated very well with or without the tech stuff.  Since it is so hard to make a quill go up and down accurately (read sarcasm) I would have to find something that rates equal or higher in the sub-$2k tier before I would be persuaded away.  JMHO

• Like 1

Given the responses above, it sounds like my best bet is to find a mobile base that exceeds the base size on the actual press for added stability. Then, I should cut plywood to match the base dimensions and bolt the press base to the plywood. 

On commercial bases like the Portamate, are there pre-drilled holes for bolting down the plywood, or should I plan for needing to add those holes?