Blum 563H Question

gee-dub

My first time with this model.  From the videos I have watched it seems that once you decide how you will use these and build your boxes all is well.  Several folks deviate from the standard instruction set and have good success.

I thought I should take a little time and build a test "opening" and a test "drawer".  I did this and mounted the runners and locking devices as per the instructions.

1630465168_MBRDresser(1).thumb.jpg.9bfc8703383e0a1911f3c182f5e9788a.jpg

501182631_MBRDresser(2).thumb.jpg.36160742c1a021d41316388e7cea5cc7.jpg

All went well but, I have questions.  I always seem to have questions even when I am smart enough to keep them to myself :D.

225959874_MBRDresser(3).thumb.jpg.4c5f0e661e6952f498cc969eb480878a.jpg

At the rear of the right runner the pin is oriented like so:

84753198_MBRDresser(4).thumb.jpg.64bf7f6fa5defab128aa2c42d0ca1cde.jpg

At the rear of the left runner it is tilted about 45 degrees:

309906135_MBRDresser(5).thumb.jpg.57f762b8ac8079f2975afa23e59fccf1.jpg

Is this what those of you who use these slides are used to seeing? 

Do I care? 

If I am going to install a dozen or so of these should I buy the jig? 

If so which one - Blum or Rockler?

Thanks to all in advance . . .

Thanks. Blum has gotten real secretive about their drawings. They provide some that are highly detailed and other required drawings or information are just not present.  When it comes to certain hole locations they just refer you to their Jig and state that it is imperative that it be used for accuracy… end of explanation :-(

Dug around a bit and found this in case anyone else is in the same boat:

Blum rear hole.jpg

• Like 2

I have never used that but am familiar with several slides. I shoot at a skinny 1/16' too big on the opening. I use plastic laminates as shims. It comes in 2 thicknesses and I use both as needed. If I don't add shims then I just got lucky. No fun if the drawer is too tight. I used a side mount with self close once. A lot like the 8400's I use a lot. There was a lever to engage the mechanism that was on top on one side and bottom the other. That happens when there is no left or right. Each side is identical as much as possible. Maybe that is the same as you pin?

On 10/11/2022 at 2:03 PM, gee-dub said:

At the rear of the left runner it is tilted about 45 degrees:

Thanks guys.  It does seem like $38 to drill 28 holes is a little silly.  Like Tom, I cobbled a little guide that should survive long enough to drill the two holes per drawer in 14 drawers that I have coming up.  I think like in many things that I haven't done before I was trying to be as prepared as possible. 

• Like 1

I always used a scrap piece of plywood to mount slides in a cabinet.  It would be cut on the tablesaw to fit under where I wanted the top slide, mount both of those, then cut it down to position the next slides down, so forth, and so on.  That puts them automatically in the right position and parallel to the cabinet bottom.

I probably would have bought the jig for the back holes, but decades ago when I first used Blum slides I didn't study everything much to start with, and just ordered the slides.  When they came and I saw the need for that jig, I just cobbled one up, and it's been good enough ever since.

I just built cabinets once a year, and didn't trust my memory to be exact, so always built a test drawer to make sure.

• Like 1