Finishing driftwood

S B in FL

I have two pieces of driftwood that I would like to finish as decor items.  One is very 3 dimensional and more like a sculpture with lots of peaks and depressions (which is why it has so much character).  It is of the grayish color of driftwood.  The other is a longitudinal slice of driftwood about 8 feet long and 1.5 inches wide.  It has beautiful graining, and is also irregular surface.

local woodworking store told me to use Watch danish oil to stain and preserve them but clearly I need to spray them since they can’t be rubbed with finish.

can anyone recommend a stain I can spray on that would bring out the beauty of the wood without obliterating it, and also provide some gloss?

Welcome tot he forum.  I don't think that any stain will bring out the color of the gray wood.   Either spray shellac or spray lacquer would work on either piece.  The gray will still be gray but the grain in the longer piece should look good.  Shellac and lacquer are availbale in rattle cans if you don't have a spray gun and compressor.  Do not spray lacquer inside and be sure to wear a mask.  mUltiple thin coats.

• Like 2