Blue tape

BillyJack

On 11/18/2022 at 11:34 AM, Ronn W said:

For the last couple of years I have had a little trouble finding 3/4" wide blue tape locally.  They seems to be phaisng it out. Finally found it at Menards.

Menards had plenty. They had an off brand “blue tape” for a little less, but unless someone has used it I stay away..

On 11/19/2022 at 7:39 AM, gee-dub said:

I’m missing something.  At $20 for six 1” x 60 yd rolls on Amazon the cost is pretty low per use. I always thought I used a lot of tape. Maybe I don’t? I do tend to stock up if I see a good deal.

Name brand tape? Tape may look the same…

I’ve got masking tape I bought at a close out store years ago. Good looking tape, but lays good, but won’t stay down more than  an hour. Tape had no identification, but assume light duty finish applications. Some tapes have a rating system 1-5 dot and its adhesion. 

Obviously you paint for a living the cost is allowed for the job, but hobby woodworking isn’t.

Something I figured out years ago. 

There’s a  lot more to woodworking than a saw and a board.  The saw blade, router bit, sand paper, jigsaw blade, etc and the list goes on and on. 

I asked a question one time on best paper towel for the shop? One response was “who cares”. I care and many on a fixed income do. 

Best bang for the buck….

On 11/19/2022 at 7:39 AM, gee-dub said:

I’m missing something.  At $20 for six 1” x 60 yd rolls on Amazon the cost is pretty low per use. I always thought I used a lot of tape. Maybe I don’t? I do tend to stock up if I see a good deal.

I think I see the deal you’re talking about.  About 3+ a roll 3M. I’m not sure it’s stick ratings and fine line usage. It may be cheaper the get S&W CP66 tape..

Sorry.  I should have posted the link to the tape.  I was using my phone :rolleyes:.  As to the "who cares?" response you got about paper towels I'll chime in that the paper towels I use are somewhat important.  I often use them to apply shellac and find the Kirkland brand to be very usable.  Like poor tape, poor paper towels are a drag.

• Like 2

friend of mine worked for 3m and i could get tape 75% cheaper than retail.... for some reason supplying me with tape wasn't a good enough reason to keep his job and he quit and went somewhere else.

I've used this stuff and it's good for non-critical uses , or for the CA double stick tape technique https://www.menards.com/main/paint/adhesives-glue-tape/tape/painters-tape/painters-mate-green-reg-60-yd-painters-tape/671394/p-1444442300202-c-7185.htm?tid=-2729282065576463187&ipos=1. The adhesive isn't super strong so I don't use it as a clamp often.

• Haha 2

When I asked the question about shop towels I was looking for the best bang for the buck for all around shop usage. My shop isn’t just woodworking, but automotive, tile, remodeling,etc. I was running out  of Scott brand shop towels and when I see the price of a new box I was stunned. I looked at the micr brand rags at Menards. $10/50. Red shop rags from HF. Paper towels. When I’m changing oil, etc on a car I like to wipe oil off and throw away, so paper towels seem to be correct. I use both Dollar General $1 roll and $2 roll Viva towels. 

Yeah, I've noticed that my local big box store carries at least three different varieties of 3M blue tape, supposedly having different properties suited to different applications. I haven't quite developed the habit of carrying readers wherever I go, so the fine print typically eludes me until I get home. Most of them serve my needs well enough.

I probably have some of every type of blue tape that 3M makes, as well as some others.  It does vary a lot for what you're using it for.  I tried different ones painting in the rental house, and came up with a couple I like for different things but would have to look to see what they are.  The ones for delicate surfaces aren't good for anything I've needed. 

Any used for paint edges, I've found it works best to "caulk the tape" and pull it off while the paint is still wet to get a perfect edge.  Less than that and there will always be some bleed under.

For general purpose tape, I use a lot of clean release duct tape.

As far as paper towels for the mechanic shop, I like the ones Sam's Club sells.  One of those large packages lasts me for several years.

We don't have Menards around here.  I've never seen one, much less been in one.