Blue tape

BillyJack

The edge of some blue tape is like Frog tape, that has the fairly crystals that swell when they get wet, which is supposed to seal the edge from paint getting under the edge.  The trouble is a little will get under there before it swells completely.  They do pretty good, but don't leave a perfectly clean straight edge.

If you run a tiny bead of clear latex caulking along the edge, smooth it out with your finger, paint over it, and pull the tape off while the paint is still wet, it leaves a perfect demarcation line at whatever the transition is.

I'm not sure if this is exactly the best video to explain it, but I expect there are quite a number on "caulking tape".  This is the first one Google pulled up.  3M makes some that works the same way that I like better than Frog tape.  For smooth surfaces, just painting over the 3M fine line (or whatever its' called) and pulling the tape off while the paint is still wet works as good.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I haven't bought any more Frog tape since using up the first roll, but there is a blue 3M tape that works the same way, only the tape is thinner.

Even without the pixie dust crystals, on smooth surfaces the smooth blue tape works great if you pull it off while the paint is still wet too.  I never let paint dry on a taped edge any more.

Here is a door I sprayed white on one side, but wanted to leave the other side the original stained finish.  I put the smooth 3M blue tape on it, cut it with a wheeled marking gauge, sprayed the paint, and pulled the tape off while the paint was still wet.

I use rotisseries for spraying doors.

IMG_3305.JPG

• Like 1