3M Cubitron II and Multi-hole Sanding Pad

gee-dub

• Chet changed the title to 3M Cubitron II and Multi-hole Sanding Pad

I like them too.  I tried several different types when I had the big sanding job on the garage doors.  I'm always thinking about what I'm doing, and using supplied air if sanding, so I didn't keep up good with which lasted the longest.

I can tell you if dust collection is at the top of the list, these can't be beat.  I expect the life won't be what disks with more abrasive surface would be, but being mostly mesh, it seems like just a Shop Vac caught all the dust.

I also use the disk saver porous pads.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B098SF48KT/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I'm working my way through a box of the Cubitron II net disks, the style with the zig-zag pattern. I have to say, I'm not that impressed. Dust collection is good, there are more holes that grit surface. My complaint is that a fresh disk tends to shed a lot of grit in the first few minutes of use, leaving particles all over the work surface. I find myself stopping to brush the surface clean after a first pass, to avoid pigtails.

11 hours ago, wtnhighlander said:

fresh disk tends to shed a lot of grit in the first few minutes of use, leaving particles all over the work surface. I

I hand sand with cheaper Abranet knock off disks and have experienced the same thing.  But to me the ability to blow out the swarf from the mesh makes it worth it.  I always thought the grit shedding was a consequence of going cheap, but it appears the problem is more common.  

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/13/2022 at 7:32 AM, wtnhighlander said:

I'm working my way through a box of the Cubitron II net disks, the style with the zig-zag pattern. I have to say, I'm not that impressed. Dust collection is good, there are more holes that grit surface. My complaint is that a fresh disk tends to shed a lot of grit in the first few minutes of use, leaving particles all over the work surface. I find myself stopping to brush the surface clean after a first pass, to avoid pigtails.

Almost same thoughts.

• Like 1