Purpleheart not fully saturating with oil

ChrisTig

I made a cutting board for my wife for Christmas this year and I can not get it fully oiled. I have put about 10 coats on it so far and the Purple Heart is dry within a couple minutes and doesn’t seem to be getting any closer to fully saturated. Is this a normal thing or am I doing something wrong? 

0AB789C1-819F-4A02-B38D-C8CF0471D9CC.jpeg

4DC44F74-6A2B-43B0-8A29-354AA966ED84.jpeg

• Like 2

This isn't specific to purpleheart, but I find wax-oil blends work better on cutting boards than pure mineral oil.

Purpleheart is a naturally oily wood, common advice is to wipe it down with acetone before applying a  finish. So it shouldn't be "thirsty" but might be refusing to absorb the oil you're adding?

• Like 1

On 12/26/2022 at 4:35 PM, BonPacific said:

This isn't specific to purpleheart, but I find wax-oil blends work better on cutting boards than pure mineral oil.

Purpleheart is a naturally oily wood, common advice is to wipe it down with acetone before applying a  finish. So it shouldn't be "thirsty" but might be refusing to absorb the oil you're adding?

Is there a product you would recommend? This is what I’m using. I did think that maybe it was refusing it but if that were the case it seems to me like while there was a wet coat it would stay wet and the other woods would dry but literally within a couple minutes its starting to dry and the other woods will stay wet for hours 

B0E17585-BE73-46EE-820B-2769DDA567DB.jpeg

On 12/26/2022 at 4:35 PM, Coop said:

Great looking cutting board but can’t help with regards to Purple Heart. Welcome to the forum. 

Thank you! 

On 12/26/2022 at 4:07 PM, ChrisTig said:

Is there a product you would recommend? This is what I’m using. I did think that maybe it was refusing it but if that were the case it seems to me like while there was a wet coat it would stay wet and the other woods would dry but literally within a couple minutes its starting to dry and the other woods will stay wet for hours 

B0E17585-BE73-46EE-820B-2769DDA567DB.jpeg

Thank you! 

I use howard's butcher block conditioner and have had no complaints. I don't think I've used it on purpleheart, but I do have a bloodwood (which has similar issues to purpleheart) strip cuttingboard and it's been great for years.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, Tom King said:

Oddly enough, it sounds like it's sucking it up, rather than drying too fast???

Agree, It looks dry because it is sucking up all the oil. If it were rejecting the oil, it would still have puddles on it. I'd go with a wax/oil concoction that has a higher viscosity.

• Like 1

I don't like just mineral oil for cutting boards. 1 wash and its down the drain literally. I like the Howard's product mentioned by @bonpacific.

That said I'm switching to natural resin curing oils like tried and true varnish oil or pure tung oil. Still food safe but it cures and won't wash off. I started doing this a couple years ago. If it makes you nervous marc is very picky with food safe finishes and came to this conclusion.

https://thewoodwhisperer.com/videos/the-best-food-safe-finish-spoiler-its-not-mineral-oil/

• Like 1

If you are looking for a food safe curing oil product, take a look at Osmo Top Oil.  It has been designated as food safe in Europe, cures, and produces an attractive finish and is reportedly easy to repair/rejuvinate.  It is expen$ive, though.  Woodcraft carries it