Dice boxes, trays, and displays

BonPacific

@Chestnut Responding to your comment in the other thread.

That's a cool idea though for the standard set of D&D dice. My mind first went to the way more complicated version of making a hollow hexagon with a top and bottom and then cutting an insert to fit using the insert to hold the lid on. Kind of like a lined box. Hitting the hexagon miters might be harder though.

I also went there first, but was having too much trouble getting the hex miters to line up well. Also that creates more glue-up stages if I need to do each one in two halves.

On 1/18/2023 at 4:03 PM, wtnhighlander said:

How deep do the rolling trays need to be? 

Depends on how aggressively you are rolling. Generally anywhere between 1 and 3 inches interior depth. Larger ones tend to have lower sides. I like using this thin plywood and thicker leather because it absorbs a lot of the force and dice don't bounce around too much.

• Thanks 1

On 1/18/2023 at 3:37 PM, Chestnut said:

Ahhh how much for those dice?

For the LED ones? I haven't settled on a price yet, especially since they'll need to be paired with a powered tray or stand. My regular dice generally sell for between $35 and $50 a set depending on design and finish quality. The LED ones are about 30-50% more labor as they require pouring the resin in two stages to center the LED, plus a lot more material costs.

If you're interested in a set, DM me.

On 1/18/2023 at 5:31 PM, Coop said:

Tell us more about the dice. 

They're pressure cast from two-part resin using silicone molds I created off of a 3d-printed master that I also made. I use two piece cap-style molds and a variety of colorants and inclusions (resin pigments, inks, mica powders, dried flowers, 3d printed skulls, etc). My casting pot is a converted harbour freight paint spray pot. The resin I use needs 12-24 hours in the pressure pot (depending on temperature) before they can be safely demolded, and about 72 hours to full hardness.

I then trim any flashing, polish the rough castings, usually using Zona polishing paper, ink the numbers with acrylic paint, and do a final shine using a 3M polishing compound. I actually use a pottery wheel with a glass plate as a slow-speed wet grinder.

For the LED dice I do a two-part pour. Initially filling the molds about 1/3rd full, letting that mostly cure, then affixing the LED with a dab of superglue and filling the mold the rest of the way up. In this case I used a clear resin (with fine sparkles) for the first pour, and a semi-opaque pearlescent white for the second pour to cover up the black plastic and copper winding. I think in the future I'm going to paint the sides of the LED to make it blend in a little better.

Here's a clean shot of some completed (non-LED) dice and an example of how the molds look.

1364572622_IMG_7853(1).thumb.JPG.4971f415cd345da5b1b6979c55360262.JPG

PXL_20211118_012307791.thumb.jpg.8c3e87701f750849e141a961a8ce3360.jpg

Most of my dice knowledge I learned from a YouTuber named Rybonator, and he has a bunch of good instructional content.

• Like 2

I feel like there are some order of operations that gentleman could have taken to make his mold making a bit easier. Make the sides first then, vasoline and then, stick the dice down. He could also use the vasoline as a way to "seal" the tape so when making the cap it doesn't leak down along the tape. Or use some other form of something to seal the tape.

Cool vid awesome dice.

Also i still don't understand why people that do casting don't off gas the resin or silicone before pouring into the mold. Reducing the bubbles has to help prevent issues even considering the fact that he puts it in the pressure pot. It's like belt and suspenders. I suppose that takes time and if you are doing this to make money.....

• Like 1

On 1/19/2023 at 5:45 AM, Chestnut said:

I feel like there are some order of operations that gentleman could have taken to make his mold making a bit easier. Make the sides first then, vasoline and then, stick the dice down. He could also use the vasoline as a way to "seal" the tape so when making the cap it doesn't leak down along the tape. Or use some other form of something to seal the tape.

Cool vid awesome dice.

Also i still don't understand why people that do casting don't off gas the resin or silicone before pouring into the mold. Reducing the bubbles has to help prevent issues even considering the fact that he puts it in the pressure pot. It's like belt and suspenders. I suppose that takes time and if you are doing this to make money.....

Definitely not the most precise maker, and he's pretty open about that.

As for degassing before pouring resin, it actually makes very little difference if any. I used to vacuum degas the resin before pouring, and it had no detectable effect on the end product or success rate of the castings. This has been backed up by much more prolific makers in the community as well. Sometimes I'll still do it just as belt-and-suspenders if I have a really chunky inclusion like crumpled mylar that might trap air. Much bigger deal if you aren't using a pressure pot, and you definitely need to use the vac chamber when making the silicone molds.

I was just thinking if you get a big air bubble in a number it might not come out with the pressure pot. Seems like minimal effort to ensure success well at least on the mold making side. Then again I don't try and shoot for good enough I'd rather shoot for best possible in some situations, but I'm making things for me not for profit.

On 1/19/2023 at 8:33 AM, Chestnut said:

I was just thinking if you get a big air bubble in a number it might not come out with the pressure pot. Seems like minimal effort to ensure success well at least on the mold making side. Then again I don't try and shoot for good enough I'd rather shoot for best possible in some situations, but I'm making things for me not for profit.

Voids are always a risk, but the resin will also continue producing gas during the curing period. I use a resin with pretty low viscosity, and usually give it 5-10 minutes after the pour for any large bubbles to work their way to the surface where they're popped with a lighter (and this step needs to be done even when vacuuming the resin).