Picture/poster frames

BillyJack

I made there years ago. Just MDF with Black pre cat lacquer. That was then, but now I think I’d like some better. Any shop make picture frames worth looking at? I usually go to Hobby Lobby and buy 2/20 dollar poster frames and steal the plastic face front. Looking for options..thx..

9622C799-1832-4D73-971E-3878AC3CCB0C.jpeg

On 2/1/2023 at 5:27 PM, wtnhighlander said:

I doubt you will find "poster" frames anywhere, that will measure up to the ones you made.  Having a poster-sized frame made with fancier molding, even at Hobby Lobby, is going to get pricey. 

What is it that you want to be 'better'?

I’m not looking to buy, but make. 

Hobby Lobby

Plexiglass - 24" x 36"

$4.49

SKU: 279760

This thick, sturdy Polystyrene Sheet is perfect for an endless array of craft projects. Use it to create fabulous DIY home decor, use it in place of glass for a safe, durable alternative, design a unique piece of jewelry, or use it in an open frame to create a barrier against the elements! Get creative and bask in the glory of your finished product.

Dimensions:

• Length: 24"
  • Width: 36"
  • Thickness: 1mm

IN STORE ONLY

Check your local store for availability.

Dimensions

Select Variant                 Select                                          8" x 10"                                          11" x 14"                                          16" x 20"                                          24" x 36"                 
24" x 36" 

That seems like a good price on the plexiglass.  As for making the frames, I tend to like the minimalist look for posters. One thing I have done in the past is to make my own simple molding from a dark wood (walnut) that isn't much fancier than the commercial frames, but the natural wood grain really dresses it up.  Might be a perfect application for some highly-figured stock, where too much would be overwhelming. The narrow frame sticks would look nice in curly maple, but not be overbearing.

I made the plain black frame and it was great at the time. You either frame the poster to see the poster or to see the poster and the frame. At this point I want to see both. I did a bar  for a customer. The wife spent countless hours on EBay looking for the coolest mirrors, but it was not just the mirrors, it was the frames as well..Posters can come and go , but frame work can be reused..

BD00EC01-7A70-48F8-81F4-B96E6147390F.jpeg