The grand nieces & nephews

Ronn W

• Ronn W changed the title to The grand nieces & nephews

Screwed up/  I miscalcuated the thickness of the chess board compared to the thickness of the walnut frame.  Could not level the whole thing without sanding/scraping throught the veneer inlay on the frame.  Not much room for error with thin commercial veneer.  Rather than start over completely, I successfully cut the frame off of all sides and will remake the frames.

Aarrgh!!!!

• Sad 3

On 2/6/2023 at 5:28 PM, wtnhighlander said:

Ronn, you take any photos yet? I'm curious about the design that dictated this action.

I will discuss the design and the problems that I ran into as soon as I solve the problem on these 3 chess boards.  Right now I think that my recommendation will be  - Do do it this way!

• Thanks 1

On 2/13/2023 at 7:02 AM, Chestnut said:

Ron they turned out great. I agree with your assessment, but getting the filletti on regardless sounds like a difficult task.

Doing the filletti as part of the veneer process is pretty simple.  You will be assembling the squares on a flat surface, shown side down, and using blue tape to hold the squares in postion.  After the squares, cut your filletti, 2 black and 1 white over long and tape them to the perimeter of the squares.  Tape very close to the corner. Lap the filleti at the corners and position a razor blade knife at the corner exaclty where you want the filletti miter and push down cutting through both layers of filletti.  If you try to cut (slice) the filletti there is a chance that they will move enough to ruin your miter.  The turn the piece show face up and apply veneer tape to all the joints including the filletti.   Cut your backer veneer and you are ready to glue and press.  All you veneer is now glue in lace and is flat on the substrate.  Make the wood boards just slighty proud of the veneer surface and scrape/plane/sand the board down to the veneer surface.  The sand the whole thing just enough to get a smooth surface over the entire piece.

• Like 1