Turning matte to satin of an oil based spar varnish

David123

A matt finish is, I believe, a function of particles suspended thoughout the varnish.  No amount of buffing or sanding will make it less  "matte" .Adding a different level of gloss over the matte finish will not change the matte finish.  A gloss finish over the matte, for example, will may make the surface shinier (reflect light) but the matte effect will still be there. I think, unfortunately that the existing matte finish will have to be removed.  That said,  I suggest that you take a sample board and apply a matte finish, let it dry and apply what ever new finish you may want over it and see how it looks.  If it turns out to be acceptable to you then you won't have to  remove the existing matte finish.

You can rub and gloss finish to make a surface duller but not the other way around.

• Like 2

Ronn is correct.  Matting agents are suspended in the original finish at varying levels to produce semi-gloss, satin, and flat appearances.  You could experiment on some scraps in the shop but I believe you will find all you are doing is adding a layer of another level of matte over the current level.

The satin has less particulate than the matte, but layering one over the other will only "flatten" the sheen more. It isn't about light reflecting from the surface, its about light being scattered by the particles suspended within the film.

I suppose that with a thick enough layer of gloss "varnish", you might see some surface reflection at some angles of view, but nothing short of removing the matte layers will increase the clarity and show the wood grain without looking cloudy.

• Like 2