CA Glue to fill veneer joints or small dimples

Ronn W

OK.  So I am working on a veneered surface.  I am Using multiple coats of Gloss ARS and sanding with 320 grit between coats.  I have enough coats now that most of the surface is now level and without any low spots.  The few low spots (Shiny spots after sanding)are pretty small but are deep enough (like and imperfect glue joint) that It will take several more coats and snading to have the ARS fill them in.  Question:  Can I use medium or thick Ca glue to fill these - will the CA glue bond to the ARS or do I risk the ca glue coming loose and popping out?  I cannot sand down inside the low spots/cracks.

I haven't used ARS and superglue, just GFs water-based topcoat over ca stabilized wood which didn't have any problems. I wouldn't be very concerned about adhesion though, CA over BLO is an old penturning finish.

What I would be more worried about is the glue crazing the finish, especially if you can't get down there and sand it back.

• Like 1

I feel like a better option would be to use a clear pore filler or try and get a clear epoxy in there. CA glue might work but I'll echo what BonP said above about damaging the finish.

Maybe try some CA glue on a finish test board to see if there is interaction between your CA and finish. Second advice would be to let the CA cure without using accelerator. for a fill like this it may take quite a while, like over night.

• Like 1