help on how to finish this project please

larry t

many thanks for your help -- something i always wanted to do -- make a set of wood goblets -- so following the creative lead of a youtube vid posted by Mayuko Wood Turning -- i completed the first one -- my go to finishing product for cutting boards i have done is walrus cutting board oil followed by their wax -- works great -- but i am wondering if it will be sufficient in and of itself for the goblet cavity or do i need to seal it / finish it with some product /  procedure because of the liquid exposure ??  i have emailed the company looking for advice but haven't heard back yet -- appreciate your thoughts --

as an aside, i made the goblet using a router boss (chipsfly.com)  in 'lathe' mode -- which is an extension of the default configuration of the router boss -- be glad to provide additional details on request -- alternatively, one could go to chipsfly.com -- click on the forum tab -- and search the forum for threads i have posted on the development of the application -- 

many thanks --

goblet2   04.jpg

goblet2   05.jpg

• Like 2

If this vessel is intended for actual use as a drinking goblet, I doubt that the 'walrus oil' will prove very durable. If the wood is saturated with the oil, it will most likely not leak, but may still easily stain. If that isn't a concern, and you are willing to refresh the oil / wax fairly often, I believe it will perform well enough.

General Finish's Salad Bowl finish it take several coats with sanding between coats works great for salad bowls I clean the bowls with soap and water I dry them with a towel after. I've never made a goblet I'm not sure how standing liquids would hold up maybe doing a test on a piece of scrap wood.

https://www.amazon.com/General-Finishes-SBPT-Salad-Finish/dp/B001DSXD52/ref=asc_df_B001DSXD52?tag=bingshoppinga-20&linkCode=df0&hvadid=80126962060188&hvnetw=o&hvqmt=e&hvbmt=be&hvdev=c&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=&hvtargid=pla-4583726540621236&th=1

Hmm I guess they changed the name to Bowl Finish

Another option is to use Brewer's Pitch on the inside of the vessel.  This will make it heavily resistant to water but if you plan on using them for adult drinks you'd need to do a little more research.  The outside at that point can be finished with w/e finish you prefer.  Ronald Kanne has a video showing how the process is done. (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=04mzIQXd_yw&t=1335s).  

many thanks for all the helpful suggestions -- did a little more digging and a found a food safe epoxy resin product  i think might work -- epoxy resin --

wthhighlander hit it on the nose with the walrus oil -- they replied with basically the same advise -- the epoxy has a temp limitation of 130 deg F which i don't think will be an issue -- my best hope was they could be used as water/ soda vessels -- finished the third one today, maybe getting 'slightly' better with my turning skills but i'm still a long way from doing this for money .......

thanks again --

larry

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

with a silent prayer that someone is still watching this thread .... my questions revolve around using wet sandpaper on a wood project -- and i apologize for what may be really inane questions -- finishing is my weakest skill set -- and i sincerely appreciate your taking the time to wade through my post --

the epoxy resin seems to be working well -- doing 2 coats because sometimes after the first coat cures i can see places that are 'dull' like the epoxy got absorbed even though the goblet looked completely covered post application  -- after  the second coat cures -- there are still small 'imperfections' on? in? the surface -- but it appears to be completely covered/glossy with epoxy -- went to youtube and found several presentations about how to do the final finish on an epoxy surface -- all basically the same -- start sanding the surface at 400 or so -- switch to wet sandpaper at 800 and continue to 3000 ? 4000?  wherever/whatever you are happy with -- but all were based on non wood projects or big tabletops with an epoxy pour thicker than what i am putting on a rotating object with a foam brush --

in the pic, the goblet on the left is my first final piece, the one on the right is post 2 coats epoxy -- i used a combination and wet and dry sandpaper -- all of this relates to the outside only -- i'm leaving the inside as is --

is there any conflict/downside to using wet sandpaper on a wood project ?  my conundrum is whether between goblet right and goblet left there is any wood exposed -- if i did the epoxy application correctly -- i'm not sanding wood, right ? i'm sanding epoxy and wet sandpaper is fine -- perhaps preferable re: dust -- what would be the tell that i have sanded through my applied epoxy and exposed the wood ?  once you start sanding, the gloss is gone and it looks like wood -- but the slush thats produced is white in color and when you dry the piece off -- there's no color to the residue on the cloth/paper towel --

i'll quit there -- many thanks --

larry

finishing 01.jpg

• Like 2

Larry, a little 'wet' sanding of the bare wood won't hurt anything, but probably won't achieve the desired result. The most common issue would be grain-raising, where the moisture is absorbed into the bare wood, slightly swelling the fibers.

I would perhaps try wet sanding with mineral spirits in place of water. Assuming the spirits don't affect the epoxy, they will not do any harm to the wood, not even raising the grain.