Cleaning and conditioning a veneered table

Kate

I was given a table with a very dried-out veneer top, and I'm hoping for some advice on (preferably food-safe) options to give it some love.

There was a pretty thick layer of build-up when I received it, which I cleaned by wiping with a slightly damp cloth - not wetting the table directly. I had to go over a couple of areas multiple times and the veneer bubbled in one spot. I set a hair dryer on low and weighted the area, which worked to stick it back down, but now I'm worried about what to use as a conditioner to avoid lifting the whole thing.

I'd rather avoid petroleum or mineral oil if possible, and would prefer a natural finish instead of a glossy one. Something like Odie's Oil would check my boxes, but would it cause problems with the glue? I'd appreciate anyone's experience or alternative (cheaper?) suggestions.

You may not get a real positive response to Odie's oil from some folks here.  The product seems to be good but the owner is known to take real be a bit of a jerk to any critical comments about his product.

I use Parker and Baileys lemon oil on any of my wood pieces for an occasional extra cleaning and it works well on wood that is drying out.  I have a Queen Anne desk that is quit old and I use it on that frequently.

https://parkerbailey.com/natural-lemon-oil-polish-16oz/

• Thanks 1

Yes, well almost I have never tried it on something this is just a shellac finish.  Eric had recommend one made by Wieman's to me back in the day but it is no longer available for some reason so I found this and it seems to be the same.

• Like 1

• 5 weeks later...
On 4/8/2023 at 2:48 PM, Chet said:

You may not get a real positive response to Odie's oil from some folks here.  The product seems to be good but the owner is known to take real be a bit of a jerk to any critical comments about his product.

I use Parker and Baileys lemon oil on any of my wood pieces for an occasional extra cleaning and it works well on wood that is drying out.  I have a Queen Anne desk that is quit old and I use it on that frequently.

https://parkerbailey.com/natural-lemon-oil-polish-16oz/

I ordered this on Amazon and it looks great, applied. Coincidentally, a friend in Austin called and asked if I knew of a good product andI gave him the name of Parker & Baileys. He went to HD and asked a salesperson if they carried it. His response was that he wished as his mom used it for years and was surprised that you could still get it. Two more bottles sold thru Amazon!