Use roller for polyurethane?

treeslayer

I've never used a roller, so I googled it, and it would be worth it for you to read up on it some too, from what I saw.  Like everything else, there are multiple youtube videos.

I've flooded plenty on floors with a squeegee, but that wouldn't work so good for beams.

• Thanks 1

I haven't but the contractors who did our remodel last year did with good results. I'm reminded of this whenever I open a can of poly they left and I find the roller still in it, which seemed to be their SOP.

I've seen lambs wool applicators used. I have no experience with them, but it seems like they should work as well as rollers.

The success of a roller with poly, I think, depends on the self leveling characteristic of the poly. If you have a poly that sets up too fast, a roller might leave an orange peal effect. In this case, the lambs wool might work better. The most important thing for any of them is to not over work it; apply it and leave it.

Any chance you could spray it?

• Like 1

On 5/14/2023 at 9:46 AM, Wimayo said:

I've seen lambs wool applicators used. I have no experience with them, but it seems like they should work as well as rollers.

The success of a roller with poly, I think, depends on the self leveling characteristic of the poly. If you have a poly that sets up too fast, a roller might leave an orange peal effect. In this case, the lambs wool might work better. The most important thing for any of them is to not over work it; apply it and leave it.

Any chance you could spray it?

Normally lambs wool is used on hardwood floors

And then a lambswool mop.  I used one of those (one use each) for a few decades spreading Moisture Cure Urethane on floors.  After waterborne finishes became more popular, we used a kind of stiff bristle squeegee.

https://www.jondon.com/lambswool-applicator-complete-synthetic.html?utm_source=google&utm_medium=cpc&utm_term=&utm_content=&utm_campaign=17758055707&gclid=CjwKCAjwjYKjBhB5EiwAiFdSfjAtlooNvO_K4rJTSHv2_Q7BDxff0rr3AjBsca9PtpMDyZB7t8hSvBoCclEQAvD_BwE

https://www.grainger.com/product/1YNU8?gucid=N:N:PS:Paid:GGL:CSM-2295:4P7A1P:20501231&gclid=CjwKCAjwjYKjBhB5EiwAiFdSfqbiIC2WX6PQeUOjJSJT6R1gqyZPJzvy-jVXL6LaMsMVaT6OdpySgxoCojgQAvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

It has pretty stiff bristles all around that head.  The bristles determine the thickness of the coating, and it flows and closes in behind the bristles as they pass.

• Thanks 1