TV Console build

So my wife came to me on Saturday about this great new furniture store online. She found a new TV console that she fell in love with, this made my stomic knot up, the last thing she fell in love with was a pair of end tables going for $500.00 each(thats 1000.00 bucks for you mathelites!) Needless to say I didnt go for it but just built them myself out of ash. They turned out great. She couldnt be happier and it only cost $80.00 hardware and all. I built them in a weekend, that means I made 920.00 in two days. Not bad huh. Some of these furniture stores are getting out of hand.

Anyway back to the story at hand. The TV stand she picked out is here: http://www.westelm.com/products/everywhere-storage-media-unit-f668/?pkey=cconsoles-media-storage-cabinets. I have to say I like the simple lines and low stance. She likes the paint grade version, I couldnt be happier, that will make it an MDF project. I figure with material, paint and some nice pulls I will have less than $200.00 in it and can build it in a weekend. That should save me around 250.00 plus shipping, not bad Id say. I spent Sunday drawing the plan in google sketchup. It is attached if you would like to take a look. It didnt really put my own spin on it but Im open to improvements if anyone has any good ideas. I know that this is a complete rip off of the origional but since its being used for personal use and not sold I dont see any harm in it.

Any input on construction methods, aesthetics, or functional changes are welcome. The plan can be altered but I imported a model of a TV so it may say read only, you should still be able to alter the stand if you'd like.

I look forward to ideas!

TV_Stand.skp

Well just an update on the Project.

I went to the Borg Thursday night for some 3/4" MDF and found that they had 1/2" available(sigh of relief). Anyone who has wrestled 3/4" MDF for any length of time knows that stuff weights about 90 lbs a sheet so 1/2" sounds great. I got two sheets and even had then cut in half since they had a panel saw right there. I used the cutlist plug in for sketchup so I knew it was safe to have the sheets cut. I also got some sand paper and drill bits, total so far on the project: $88.00.

I spent saturday morning altering the plans to account for 1/2" material rather than 3/4", reprinted my cut list and headed to the shop. I made good progress Saturday getting the main box structure built. I am building this console in 4 main parts: The "Box", the bottom stand, and the two drawers. Since the box is built Ill build the two drawers tonight and hopefully the stand tomorrow night. Then it will be putty and sanding, and finally priming and painting.

Ill post pictures of the work in progress this evening for anyone interested.

• 2 weeks later...

Well just an update on the Project.

I went to the Borg Thursday night for some 3/4" MDF and found that they had 1/2" available(sigh of relief). Anyone who has wrestled 3/4" MDF for any length of time knows that stuff weights about 90 lbs a sheet so 1/2" sounds great. I got two sheets and even had then cut in half since they had a panel saw right there. I used the cutlist plug in for sketchup so I knew it was safe to have the sheets cut. I also got some sand paper and drill bits, total so far on the project: $88.00.

I spent saturday morning altering the plans to account for 1/2" material rather than 3/4", reprinted my cut list and headed to the shop. I made good progress Saturday getting the main box structure built. I am building this console in 4 main parts: The "Box", the bottom stand, and the two drawers. Since the box is built Ill build the two drawers tonight and hopefully the stand tomorrow night. Then it will be putty and sanding, and finally priming and painting.

Ill post pictures of the work in progress this evening for anyone interested.

you might consider 3/4 for the drawer fronts. MDF is nice for some things, I'm not a fan, used to be, used a lot, lots of dust way too heavy! Make sure you seal everything before you paint. It is a sponge. Pre-drill every screw hole especially on end grain. Also if you can, clamp the panel (on end grain) where the screw will enter to keep it from splitting the panel. Good luck. It will be heavy!

you might consider 3/4 for the drawer fronts. MDF is nice for some things, I'm not a fan, used to be, used a lot, lots of dust way too heavy! Make sure you seal everything before you paint. It is a sponge. Pre-drill every screw hole especially on end grain. Also if you can, clamp the panel (on end grain) where the screw will enter to keep it from splitting the panel. Good luck. It will be heavy!

Mbike,

what would you suggest sealing MDF with?