Connecting a top; to glue or to screw?

Everett

Hello all,

This is my first woodworking project (I've enjoyed it so far, so it won't be the last), and I have a question that hopefully isn't too noobish.

The bookcase is all solid wood, red oak. I have a top with roundover edges that I want to attach to the top of it. Reason being, is my wife wants it to match a TV cabinet that we already have, which has the same type of top.

Should I be okay with expansion and whatnot if I were to glue them together (long grain to long grain) OR should i really look to screw the top on? I've attached a picture (sorry it's grainy, I only have my phone right now as the camera is out for repair)

Thanks everyone!

Ev

post-4228-0-09880700-1301267356_thumb.jp

If I were faced with this decision, my preference would be to attach the top with screws through slightly oversized holes. My rationale is that even though the two pieces will be moving in the same direction, there is no guarantee that they will be moving at exactly the same rate or the same amount. Giving them the ability to move independently eliminates any possibility of stress building up between the two pieces and leading to a failed glue joint or split board over time.

Rory

If the grain direction is the same on both the top of the cabinet and the added top you want to install, you could do either. And there isn't a question that is too noobie. I'm trying to think if there may be a better way to attach the top. Personally, I like the look without the added top, but, your wife's opinion trumps everyones. At least it does in my house.

I would have to second rory's method.

Maybe use the router to cut a 1/4 inch slot by say 3/4 long perpendicular to the top.

The hardware store here has self tapping screws with a nice wide head that is flat on the bottom and mostly so onto. The would be perfect and they call them lath screws.

I might ever go so far as to wax the 2 surfaces befor installing them.

Nice work by the way

Hey Folks,

Thanks for the feedback (and compliments). I'll def post once i have them with a finish on them (it's a tad bit on the cold side, so i was going to wait a couple weeks for the weather to warm up here, near Boston.

And you are right, Wife's opinion is the most important.

Thanks again!

Ev

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...