plugs

matt1

Hi,This is probably a stupid question but that hasn't stopped me before...I am trying to make some walnut circle plugs to fit into oak table legs. I have purchased a plug cutter kit, 1/4 to 5/8. The problem is the plugs fit just slightly loose. Where I have seen on the internet anybody talking about plugs they always seem to say "to lightly tap plug into hole with mallet" which is what I want but my plugs just fall right in leaving a fairly visible line around the plug. Any ideas??

Thanks in advance,

Matt

Are you using a straight plug cutter or a tapered plug cutter? I never use the straight plug cutter when making plugs. The taper plug cutter actually makes a plug that is increasing larger in diameter. I've never had one that didn't fit my hole. What you describe has happened to me with the straight plug cutter.

Tim

have tried a 1/2 drill bit and a 1/2 spade drill bit

It sounds like maybe Tim has set you on the right path. If not, I guess if it was me I would try to actually measure the plugs and the holes to see which one was off. I've never used a plug cutter, so I don't know how (or if) things can go wrong with them.

I can imagine, though, that you might well get oversized holes with spade bits, especially if you're using them in a hand drill as opposed to a drill press. If you find that your holes are in fact too big, then you might try a Forstner bit to see if it gives you better results.

Failing all that, I guess there's no sin in using a smaller drill bit than what it says on the plug cutter, if that's what it takes to make the plugs fit.

-- Russ

Thanks Tim, was using a straight cutter on the whole and did try a couple with the tapered but I didnt think to flip it around and try the fit that way. Back the shop I go...

thanks again

Matt

When I bought my plug cutter set a few years ago I had exactly the same problem. What I did was to take a 1/2" spade bit and file the sides until I obtained a good tight fit. I keep this with the cutters so I don't get it mixed up with a genuine 1/2" bit. Interestingly all the others in the set work fine.

Pete

Thanks Pete, what a great idea! I am having the same problem with three of the the 4 cutters that came with the kit..I haven't tried the 4th one yet. this thing isn't miles away but tapping the plug in would just make it better. As it is white oak I am not expecting too much movement and am inserting the plugs to match the grain. I am obviously still a rookie at this stuff, but it's almost as if the downward pressure and design of the cutter bits may be compressing the plug just enough to make it a slightly slack fit? I am heading to the workshop now to find my files.

Thanks again everyone.As a new woodworker I hope you guys appreciate how much I appreciate your time to help. Signing up to the Guild has been the best investment I have made into this hobby so far. I was about to give up on a design I had in mind and would have really diminished the effort.

Matt

What do you think...sweet...took 3 short passes with the file to the spade bit!

I think they will be fine. But, not being much good at it myself either, I think you should take a look at file sizes and pixels etc. when posting pics. As they look to be too big with too few dpi. I'm sure there will be someone out there who can point us both in the right direction.

Pete