Willow

Dan S

I piked up 15bf of Willow today to make chisel racks, because it was cheap ($1.91/bf) and had some interesting looking grain. Since I have never worked with it before, I did some goggling when I got home, but didn't find much. Has anyone worked with it before, what's it normally used for?

gallery_818_183_86948.jpg

gallery_818_183_29650.jpg

gallery_818_183_11754.jpg

I did some more digging, and found this site.

http://esp.cr.usgs.gov/data/atlas/little/

based on the maps, I'm going to bet it's either coyote willow, or black willow, most likely black willow.

based on getting a more descriptive name, I found these.

http://www.ahec.org/hardwoods/guide/willow.html

http://woodworkingnetwork.com/Black-Willow/2003-02-12/Article.aspx?oid=934669

Dan,

For what its worth i recently build a small table from what I was told is "Mississippi Willow" ..

thats all I know. Not sure how much properties change from variety to another, but this stuff

was very soft. Hard to keep crisp edges. Just planing against a bench stop caused some softening

on short edges (tenons, etc).

Blotched like crazy w/ water-based stuff. I ended up using oil.

-Tony

post-3470-0-21780300-1303368349_thumb.gi

Dan,

For what its worth i recently build a small table from what I was told is "Mississippi Willow" ..

thats all I know. Not sure how much properties change from variety to another, but this stuff

was very soft. Hard to keep crisp edges. Just planing against a bench stop caused some softening

on short edges (tenons, etc).

Blotched like crazy w/ water-based stuff. I ended up using oil.

-Tony

I've gotta say, even though it's sounds a PITA to work, the variation in color is beautiful!

I have 3 willow trees in my yard. They constantly drop branches. Once a year, I cut a large 6"+ diameter branch off of one the three. I've turned pieces from it but never tried to save the lumber. It is extremely soft, good for turning and burns fast, but I am very surprised to see the table made of it. That is a very nice looking table. I may have to reconsider burning it.

Tim