A whole plum tree

My father-in-law has graciously agreed to allow me to remove a large plum tree that recently died due to infection from his back yard. The trunk is roughly 24" in diameter and has a large, multi-branch crotch (?). The larger sections of branches I plan to sculpt into walking sticks or other "sculpture" type pieces. My hope is that I'll get some good usable pieces from the trunk. The question is, how do I go about slabbing this up? And, once it has been cut, how do I go about drying it? I live in Wilmington, NC and would be willing to drive some distance to have it done right, but honestly, I don't even know where to begin.

Anyone have any experience in this area?

I don't have help to offer, but I do encourage you to save and use the plum. I recently got most of a dead plum, since I live in the Mojave Desert it was nearly dry. While most of the center of the main trunk is punky, the outside few inches, and some good branches have yielded beautiful wood. The attached picture shows an example from one of the branches, about a 5 or 6 inch diameter one. I used three flitch cut boards, bookmatched to cover a speaker ( finally replacing the missing original glass top). post-489-0-24391800-1305212332_thumb.jpg

Plum, from my experience, is trouble. The stuff I have is very difficult to dry. It twists and checks like nothing else. It is pretty though. I'd recommend sealing the end grain well.

I definitely plan to do that. Do you have a particular sealer you'd recommend?

I don't have help to offer, but I do encourage you to save and use the plum. I recently got most of a dead plum, since I live in the Mojave Desert it was nearly dry. While most of the center of the main trunk is punky, the outside few inches, and some good branches have yielded beautiful wood. The attached picture shows an example from one of the branches, about a 5 or 6 inch diameter one. I used three flitch cut boards, bookmatched to cover a speaker ( finally replacing the missing original glass top). post-489-0-24391800-1305212332_thumb.jpg

That is pretty. As I mentioned, I'll likely make some walking sticks to put up on etsy out of the thinner branches. I also plan to slice a few rounds from the trunk base at about 12/4 to do some natural shape trays. The rest, I'd like to use to build a bed for my daughter. I guess I just need to find a sawyer near me that will also kiln dry the lumber. Provided that's the direction I should take.