Can You teach me that?

Hi everyone this is CATaylor, I am a new member here at TWW.com and i look foreward to hearing from all of you. I am posting this question in regards to Woodworking Instruction. Last week I spent less than a grand to go take some general WW instruction. This class promised 3 days of nothing but non-stop Glorious WWKN. So I gety up real early for a 7 hour drive over to OK. listening to re-runs of TWW and WT online on the ipod I totally psyched myself out about the days to follow. Although I hadn't ever heard of the guy I thought hell 20 years as a Professional,and buisness this guy will give me the gold medal in information to take home. FAT CHANCE. HA HA Doom on me, I get there and well hotel accomidations fell through,or maybe they forgot to make them while they were counting my money, then the tools they provided must have been from 1920 russia, I am pretty sure my saw didn't have any teeth,and the instructor yes my jolly teacher who i swear must be that missing wino santa from last years Christmas party, with all the experience in his belt, yeah right like anything else could fit in there, had been a part time woodworker for 20 years alright but i am pretty sure most of it was in prison. Besides his late starts, lack of knowledge and utter stupidity of wood he barely made it through 30 minutes of his life story when i decided like 3 other people to request a refund. Sad from shell shock i drove home very slowly and listened to sad songs the whole way. So what about you, What should We look for when trying to pick out one of do it all instuctors. Any thoughts? I am not sure if i can be sued for slander so i wont post his name here but a direct request to my email account will get you his name. thanks everyone Sorry so long. CATaylor/arkansas

I'm sure others will chime in with more actual knowledge on the subject. But, two things come to mind. First, just because someone is good at woodworking, doesn't mean they have any teaching skills. Second, research the teacher. In my area there is the NW Woodworking Studio, owned by Gary Rogowski, a regular contributor to FWW. I've read a lot of his articles and his blog. He's an articulate person and seems to know how to teach. Another school I'm looking at is the Port Townsend School of Woodworking. I'd be somewhat stepping into the unknown going there, but would love to study under Seth Rolland, who is a woodworker that has done some very innovative things in his career. I have no idea if he is a good teacher.

Btw, if anybody has other suggestions for woodworking schools/classes in the northwest, I'd love to learn about them.

I think that especially with todays online vast resource, that you can get most 'general' information that way, and with a bit self training while working on basic projects you can get up to speed.

however, if you are looking to get into a class, or if you are looking for a specialized class (veneering, chair making, inlays, etc) or even a general all-in-one class, I'd do some research on who's providing the class, and who will be presenting it -you can find all the info online these days, including other's reviews and such ahead of time.

I'm sure others will chime in with more actual knowledge on the subject. But, two things come to mind. First, just because someone is good at woodworking, doesn't mean they have any teaching skills. Second, research the teacher. In my area there is the NW Woodworking Studio, owned by Gary Rogowski, a regular contributor to FWW. I've read a lot of his articles and his blog. He's an articulate person and seems to know how to teach. Another school I'm looking at is the Port Townsend School of Woodworking. I'd be somewhat stepping into the unknown going there, but would love to study under Seth Rolland, who is a woodworker that has done some very innovative things in his career. I have no idea if he is a good teacher.

Btw, if anybody has other suggestions for woodworking schools/classes in the northwest, I'd love to learn about them.

Thanks for your reply, I have often thought of going abroad to study, and maybe using some GI benefits to help pay, if possible. I think i am going to join ,not only Marc's guild,but my local one as well. There is too much info out there for people like the one i described to be wasting our time. Thanks for your reply again

I think that especially with todays online vast resource, that you can get most 'general' information that way, and with a bit self training while working on basic projects you can get up to speed.

however, if you are looking to get into a class, or if you are looking for a specialized class (veneering, chair making, inlays, etc) or even a general all-in-one class, I'd do some research on who's providing the class, and who will be presenting it -you can find all the info online these days, including other's reviews and such ahead of time.

Single-topic workshops and classes like that certainly can help (or at least I assume so; not much of that around here), but I doubt it is any match for a curriculum where one semester dovetails (sic) into the next.

Around here, I do see a community college profess to have a curriculum for furniture building. I want to go investigate by getting the syllabus of the 4 classes (just 4 so it isn't real comprehensive).

As for Seth Rolland, my impression is he's a cool guy; when I've chatting with him elsewhere online (:o elsewhere?) he's very open to giving advice, explaining beyond what you asked, and doesn't seem to have his nose in the air. Pretty impressive for a Design Book and FWW back-cover laureate.

Now, Marc, on the other hand only has his nose in the air when he's trying to figure out from which direction the smell of BBQ ribs is coming... mmm Dave's.

thanks for your response. I am in that boat with you not much here in the way of instruction, hardly any other woodworkers or cabinetmakers, and then there is me running around like a geek hyped up on sugar looking for my woodworking fix. Thanks hope to hear from you soon

thanks for your response. I am in that boat with you not much here in the way of instruction, hardly any other woodworkers or cabinetmakers, and then there is me running around like a geek hyped up on sugar looking for my woodworking fix. Thanks hope to hear from you soon

That's redundant :)

...but a funny picture in my head!

Single-topic workshops and classes like that certainly can help (or at least I assume so; not much of that around here), but I doubt it is any match for a curriculum where one semester dovetails (sic) into the next.

Around here, I do see a community college profess to have a curriculum for furniture building. I want to go investigate by getting the syllabus of the 4 classes (just 4 so it isn't real comprehensive).

As for Seth Rolland, my impression is he's a cool guy; when I've chatting with him elsewhere online (:o elsewhere?) he's very open to giving advice, explaining beyond what you asked, and doesn't seem to have his nose in the air. Pretty impressive for a Design Book and FWW back-cover laureate.

Now, Marc, on the other hand only has his nose in the air when he's trying to figure out from which direction the smell of BBQ ribs is coming... mmm Dave's.

I know you and I have talked about Seth before. He's really tipping the scale for me toward Port Townsend. I want to get more information on the school. I have their page as a favorite on FB and have been seeing a few bits of info flowing. I really think Seth's work with the bandsaw is the first large innovation in woodworking. I can't wait to get my bending table complete and a steam box. Try my hand at some of that, but I'd really love some help with the learning curve.

I just went through this two years ago, and had the luck to find a place with a hell of a good teacher.

There are generally three sorts of classes:

• Intro to woodworking, which covers a wide range of topics. Almost always take this class first.
  • Project courses, which build a specific item (build a Shaker Table, jewelry box, cutting board, etc) These are *fun*, and you get something awesome to take home.
  • Skills courses, which build a specific skill (sharpening blades, finishing wood, how to tune a handplane, joinery)

In every class, there are people of different skills; with a good class, some topics will go by a bit too fast for ya (and slow for others!), and some topics will be slow for you (but fast for the other folks in the class). "What to look for in a class?" might vary a lot by what you already know and what you want to do, but it's hard to go wrong with a general introductory course. Ideally, it lets you get exposure to hand tools and some power tools; the list of topics that might be in there would include: dimensioning (sizing lumber with planes, jointer), shaping wood (chisels, planes, card scrapers), and joining wood (saws, box joints, dovetail joints, miter joints, glue, clamps). There should be some knowledge of how to maintain the tools, so how to setup a plane, and how to sharpen a plane, chisel, and card scraper.

A *lot* of this is covered by Marc's free videos, actually. (Thanks, Marc!) There's also a *lot* where it's good to have hands-on feedback, so you can ask "am I doing this right?" I think taking a class or two helped me immensely; it gave me connections to other locals I can ask to take a look at my work, and it helped me search out new places to look for hardwoods, hardware, tools, and supplies.

I just went through this two years ago, and had the luck to find a place with a hell of a good teacher.

There are generally three sorts of classes:

• Intro to woodworking, which covers a wide range of topics. Almost always take this class first.
  • Project courses, which build a specific item (build a Shaker Table, jewelry box, cutting board, etc) These are *fun*, and you get something awesome to take home.
  • Skills courses, which build a specific skill (sharpening blades, finishing wood, how to tune a handplane, joinery)

In every class, there are people of different skills; with a good class, some topics will go by a bit too fast for ya (and slow for others!), and some topics will be slow for you (but fast for the other folks in the class). "What to look for in a class?" might vary a lot by what you already know and what you want to do, but it's hard to go wrong with a general introductory course. Ideally, it lets you get exposure to hand tools and some power tools; the list of topics that might be in there would include: dimensioning (sizing lumber with planes, jointer), shaping wood (chisels, planes, card scrapers), and joining wood (saws, box joints, dovetail joints, miter joints, glue, clamps). There should be some knowledge of how to maintain the tools, so how to setup a plane, and how to sharpen a plane, chisel, and card scraper.

A *lot* of this is covered by Marc's free videos, actually. (Thanks, Marc!) There's also a *lot* where it's good to have hands-on feedback, so you can ask "am I doing this right?" I think taking a class or two helped me immensely; it gave me connections to other locals I can ask to take a look at my work, and it helped me search out new places to look for hardwoods, hardware, tools, and supplies.

I would try and find out who the instructor is and ask what he/she plans to cover in the class and what their teaching style is.

Another option is the workshops in woodworking stores. Usually they have pretty good people and if not, it's usually only a day and not THAT much money.

I'll throw a curveball into this though. I've taught adults in a classroom setting and as an instructor you're biggest challenge is to keep everyone moving forward. Sometimes you get people with absolutely no experience and you're slowing the course down to keep them from falling too far behind, or you have very vocal experienced people pushing the depth of the course into areas that are going to lose most people. It's a big balancing act to do it well.

Based on that, I'd also look for courses where the audience is roughly at the same level as you, or even just a bit further ahead.

A little further south of the NW, but David Marks in Santa Rosa CA.

A little further south of the NW, but David Marks in Santa Rosa CA.

Yea, but that involves air travel which adds cost and then, of course, Valium to make the flight bearable. You'd think I'd go outta my way to fly just for that ;o)

A few years ago I wanted to learn how to make a Maloof style rocking chair. To make a long story short I found an excellant teacher in Missoula, Montana. I not only made a beautiful chair but learned so much more that I could take home and use right away. Check out "Chidwickchairs.com" and then my website, mahoneywoodworks.com which I really have to credit Andy Chidwick for. It was the best 10 days of woodworking experience that I can remember. David Marks will be in San Diego the end of Sept for a weekend seminar. Should be interesting.

I think i am going to join ,not only Marc's guild,but my local one as well.

From your signature line, I am going with you are in Arkansas. So am I. Not sure what you have in mind for a local guild. I belong to the Woodwoorkers Association of Arkansas . Monthly meetings with demos and guest lecturers. Guests are always welcome.

One of the members was my instructor at the Arkansas Arts Center. The Arts Center classes require a basic course (safety and major tools) while you build a table. Then you can choose from more project oriented classes or advanced class where you do your own project. They have a nice well equipped shop and class size is a maximum of eight.

Hi everyone this is CATaylor, I am a new member here at TWW.com and i look foreward to hearing from all of you. I am posting this question in regards to Woodworking Instruction. Last week I spent less than a grand to go take some general WW instruction. This class promised 3 days of nothing but non-stop Glorious WWKN. So I gety up real early for a 7 hour drive over to OK. listening to re-runs of TWW and WT online on the ipod I totally psyched myself out about the days to follow. Although I hadn't ever heard of the guy I thought hell 20 years as a Professional,and buisness this guy will give me the gold medal in information to take home. FAT CHANCE. HA HA Doom on me, I get there and well hotel accomidations fell through,or maybe they forgot to make them while they were counting my money, then the tools they provided must have been from 1920 russia, I am pretty sure my saw didn't have any teeth,and the instructor yes my jolly teacher who i swear must be that missing wino santa from last years Christmas party, with all the experience in his belt, yeah right like anything else could fit in there, had been a part time woodworker for 20 years alright but i am pretty sure most of it was in prison. Besides his late starts, lack of knowledge and utter stupidity of wood he barely made it through 30 minutes of his life story when i decided like 3 other people to request a refund. Sad from shell shock i drove home very slowly and listened to sad songs the whole way. So what about you, What should We look for when trying to pick out one of do it all instuctors. Any thoughts? I am not sure if i can be sued for slander so i wont post his name here but a direct request to my email account will get you his name. thanks everyone Sorry so long. CATaylor/arkansas

CA,

I've heard this song before. My advice, for what it's worth is:

1. Haunt your local library for the woodworking books there,

2. Find a local woodworking club.

3. Buy the best tools you can (will)afford.

The woodworking clubs usually have a "Show and tell" session. Also, almost everyone in the club will have some expertise, or will be a new guy like you. Some members will be outgoing, others will be reserved. Our local club has a monthly meeting, with one of the club members giving a demonstration of their skill or speciality, also a hands on event every month. Do not be afraid to ask questions, as the members have all been beginners at some time in their life. I gave a talk on measuring and layout, another member showed how to REALLY use hand planes. There is a yearly toy building program for the Salvation Army (6-8 different toys) that usually has about 500 to 600 objects donated. Also, each year we have a winter project such as building a Dulcimer or a hall seat with a mirror. One of the other perks of membership is the discounts at a local woodworking tool store. Anyway, good luck. Keep in touch here or look us up and call.

Another good place to go is to your local Woodcraft. We have a great one here in Dallas with some highly experienced instructors. They offer several classes on many different subjects like band box building, finishing, learning to use a lathe, sharpening, cabinet building, you name it. Classes are reasonalbly priced and generally not overcrowded.