Woodworker II Failure

Late for this topic, but I think it bears repeating - always wear your safety glasses; always think about body position relative to the saw blade; use a leather apron - knitting needle sized piece of wood nearly skewered a member of our woodworking club. Kick back sent the cutoff right through her cotton shop apron and her clothes and into her upper abdomen. It was no laughing matter.

What did Forrest say about the blade? I've used their products for years and have never had a problem. Would hope that my faith in their product is not misplaced.

• 4 months later...
I was trying out a new guy for sharpening on one of my Freud Fusion blades and he effectively ruined it. I wont use the blade again because his sharpening came across the top of the welds and I believe that has compromised them. Needless to say, he wont touch another one of my blades.

Vic, there are times when you're down far enough on the carbide that it is possible to dress the blade and grind into the weld or silver solder that you refer to. There's times you can cut into the steel behind the tooth as well. I don't know exactly what he did so I'm not trying to defend him or contradict you. For reference, I have a Foley Belsaw sharpening system and have done my blades as well as blades for customers with no complaints of lost teeth. We've had people bring blades we've never touched to us for re-toothing, but never someone bring them back for re-toothing after we've sharpened them. Perhaps your blade is still okay...

Scott - I'm not sure how wide the distribution is yet, but Tenryu now makes a full .125" Gold Medal blade. I have one in my saw now and it rocks the hizzy. Actually, the .111 kerf of the old Gold Medal blade is what kept it from being my every day blade. Was very happy to see them standardize it.

It's 8 months later Marc. Are you a Tenryu user (the full .125 so I don't have to mess with my splitter) or WWII user at this point? I need a new cross cut blade and have been reading a lot of good things about both for both ripping and crosscutting. The Tenryu comes in slightly cheaper at this point.

Vic, there are times when you're down far enough on the carbide that it is possible to dress the blade and grind into the weld or silver solder that you refer to. There's times you can cut into the steel behind the tooth as well. I don't know exactly what he did so I'm not trying to defend him or contradict you. For reference, I have a Foley Belsaw sharpening system and have done my blades as well as blades for customers with no complaints of lost teeth. We've had people bring blades we've never touched to us for re-toothing, but never someone bring them back for re-toothing after we've sharpened them. Perhaps your blade is still okay...

I think he was just too aggressive, Jay. The other place I use had kept the teeth in tact when sharpening.