milwen

Mineral Oil vs. Butcher Block Oil

Recommended Posts

I'm trying to find out if there is any difference between mineral oil (sold as a laxative) and butcher block oil. The reason I ask is because a pint of mineral oil as a laxative can be purchased for $2.63 from Amazon and a pint of General Finishes butcher block oil is $8.99 from Woodcraft.

As far as I can tell both are just plain mineral oil. According to the General Finishes MSDS the butcher block oil also contains a small amount of vitamin E, but I have also seen this listed on some laxatives. Has anybody had any experience with this?

http://www.amazon.com/Cumberland-Swan-Mineral-Oil-Pt/dp/B000QFUQFS/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=hpc&qid=1307996820&sr=1-1

http://www.woodcraft.com/Product/2003233/1773/Butcher-Block-Oil-Pint-Saf.aspx

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

From my experience, they are the same exact product (for our purposes). Even if it weren't the same exact product, the standard mineral oil works well enough that its worth buying to save significant money.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So what did you finish that cutting board with? Oh, a laxative I purchased off Amazon. :blink:

It's all in what you call it. :D

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So, is the vitamin E added to the laxative for people, and they have to list it when it's sold as a wood finish, or is the vitamin E added to the finish for the wood, and they have to list it when it's sold as a laxative?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Its a marketing hype, where they label it as food grade finish. Same thing as General salad bowl finish. Its just thinned down varnish.

You can buy it cheaper at CVS, any pharmacy stores.

I recommend using mixture of mineral oil and either paraffin or beeswax as a finish for your cutting boards.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks for the info everybody. I'll try the plain mineral oil and save a few dollars.

So, is the vitamin E added to the laxative for people, and they have to list it when it's sold as a wood finish, or is the vitamin E added to the finish for the wood, and they have to list it when it's sold as a laxative?

I think I saw somewhere that the vitamin E was for stability.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I go to one of those 1.00 stores and get my mineral oil for 1.29. Right next door to it is a CVS that charges 4.29.

Thanks for the tip about the dollar store. I will have to look for USP grade mineral oil there.

SQ

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Its a marketing hype, where they label it as food grade finish. Same thing as General salad bowl finish. Its just thinned down varnish.

You can buy it cheaper at CVS, any pharmacy stores.

I recommend using mixture of mineral oil and either paraffin or beeswax as a finish for your cutting boards.

I agree, I make up the USP grade mineral oil and beeswax. It's inexpensive to make and keeps well in a covered container. I use it on boxes, bowls, cutting boards, wooden kitchen utensils, etc. Quick and easy to apply and looks great.

SQ

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi All. I understand from other sources that I can use food grade mineral oil, linseed oil or walnut oil to seal and dress my new raw timber chopping board. However, these are difficult to source from where I'm currently based in the Philippines. Can I use Grapeseed Oil or Avocado Oil to finish the Cutting Board. These are much more readily available.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The reason that food oils aren't a good choice is because it can go rancid, and they wash off pretty easily.  have you tried a pharmacy for mineral oil?

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I use a mixture of Bee's wax and Mineral Oil  2oz of Bees wax 5oz of mineral oil works great on cutting boards.It's very food safe one I just finished this afternoon

IMG_20180822_153216064_HDR.jpg

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Every cooking source I found on the web claims that walnut and linseed oils will go rancid, just like any other food-based oil. Mineral oil doesn't go rancid because it is a petroleum distillate. Ironic, right? We avoid using oils from plants we can eat, because there is a chance they will eventually smell bad. Then we recommend using a by-product of turning crude oil into gasoline.

I have used both vegetable cooking oils, and mineral oil, to keep cutting boards from getting dry and splintery. No rancidness, after a decade or so.

Every old-time butcher shop used to have a wooden chopping block that was saturated with animal fat, just from using it every day. If THAT didn't stink to high heaven, then I think it unlikely a little grapeseed oil will be a problem.

Disclaimer: I am only sharing my opinion, and personal experience. Neither should be considered as 'advice' in any sense of the word.

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, wtnhighlander said:

Every cooking source I found on the web claims that walnut and linseed oils will go rancid, just like any other food-based oil. Mineral oil doesn't go rancid because it is a petroleum distillate. Ironic, right? We avoid using oils from plants we can eat, because there is a chance they will eventually smell bad. Then we recommend using a by-product of turning crude oil into gasoline.

I have used both vegetable cooking oils, and mineral oil, to keep cutting boards from getting dry and splintery. No rancidness, after a decade or so.

Every old-time butcher shop used to have a wooden chopping block that was saturated with animal fat, just from using it every day. If THAT didn't stink to high heaven, then I think it unlikely a little grapeseed oil will be a problem.

Disclaimer: I am only sharing my opinion, and personal experience. Neither should be considered as 'advice' in any sense of the word.

In the Old Butcher shops at the end of the week they would take very course ground salt and cover the top of the block .They had a very course brush with metal bristles about 1/8th wide and would scrub the top of the block to remove the slime from the blood and fat.It was almost like sanding it down with course ground paper.Cooking Oil And Mineral Oil are the easiest and the safest for a food safe application Some people use Peanut Oil not thinking about people with Peanut allergy's  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/2/2016 at 1:11 PM, allpurpose said:

It screams advertising hype. It's like all the products labeled with 'military grade'.

As a military guy who knows we essentially invaded another country riding in scrap heaps with bubble gum holding the armor on military grade isn't a good thing .

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, Dennis O'Shea said:

In the Old Butcher shops at the end of the week they would take very course ground salt and cover the top of the block .They had a very course brush with metal bristles about 1/8th wide and would scrub the top of the block to remove the slime from the blood and fat.

Yep.  Couldn't wait to get out of the first stage of my apprenticeship so I didn't have to do this any more.  We didn't use salt at the time but some cleaning solution that smelled a lot like simple green and had to do it at the end of everyday.  I think I had Popeye forearms at the ned of that 6 months.:o  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Chet said:

Yep.  Couldn't wait to get out of the first stage of my apprenticeship so I didn't have to do this any more.  We didn't use salt at the time but some cleaning solution that smelled a lot like simple green and had to do it at the end of everyday.  I think I had Popeye forearms at the ned of that 6 months.:o  

That's back in the day when the Chicken came in wooden crates packed in Ice and you cut them up in the store That's when whole were 28cent's a pound and cut up's were 31cent's a pound 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On ‎8‎/‎21‎/‎2018 at 8:49 PM, Graeme Noble said:

However, these are difficult to source from where I'm currently based in the Philippines.

It shouldn't be that hard, you have lazada after all, and can probably find it even cheaper in the markets, but here:

https://www.lazada.com.ph/products/mineral-oil-unscented-clear-1-liter-i141002740-s160349051.html?spm=a2o4l.searchlist.list.1.57b91a73z5zo2y&search=1

and even the beeswax

https://www.lazada.com.ph/products/yellow-beeswax-i100108827-s100129512.html?spm=a2o4l.searchlist.list.4.187d6c77iKGzWW&search=1

Ph is a huge market, if there really wasn't something like mineral oil, I'd recommend you open a business to sell it :D 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/14/2011 at 10:51 PM, Hayashiox said:

 

I recommend using mixture of mineral oil and either paraffin or beeswax as a finish for your cutting boards.

I buy bees wax in a form that is similar to laundry detergent or grated parmesan cheese. I think the ratio is about 3:1 - I heat up the mineral oil (3 parts) and add the wax (1part). It will dissolve. Then I pour it into these little 2oz plastic tubs where it cools and congeals and then I give the recipient of the cutting board a little tub of my homemade "finish" to keep their new CB looking good. It's a great little add on. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 1 Guest (See full list)

    There are no registered users currently online

  • Forum Statistics

    27754
    Total Topics
    371400
    Total Posts
  • Member Statistics

    20883
    Total Members
    1529
    Most Online
    UJL DESIGNS
    Newest Member
    UJL DESIGNS
    Joined