neat idea

bywc

While I like this thing at first glance it has me worried about the fact that all the weight of the tools + bench on its own are probably a good strain on the studs its attached to I just wonder how long it could hold up with all the added weight of the projects materials and the pounding,rocking/racking from planing/sawing etc but either way its still pretty cool looking so figured I would post it here as I seen it on a different forum apparently it was in an issue of family handyman from 06 from what they said anyway.

fhwb.jpg

WOW!! Pretty cool if you're THAT GUY who has such a neat shop :rolleyes:. Not me. But the design is cool looking, like you said Paul. Why not extend the sides to the floor and add a center piece that supports the middle as well. Takes away from the "cool" but it would certainly hold up longer.

Jack

I think this is a classic case of a design that featured form over function. There is no inherent advantage to not having legs on this thing (in fact those curved cabinets actually rob it of space). It also violates about 9 of Schwarz' rules of workbenches. But given they have mostly screw drivers and light duty clamps mounted on it, I suspect it's not really intended for woodworking. Well, unless the woodworker is left-handed (anyone else notice the end vise on the wrong end?)

I think the intent is purely to allow open floor space beneath for whatever reason, possibly the nose of a car. It may seem silly to a woodworker, but speaking as someone who used to have a very cramped space, that tiny bit of space can make a difference as to whether the car fits or not. It would be sturdier if it tied into the floor, but I wouldn't be worried about the weight on the studs.

Joe

Looks like it is in a class room or something like that. It is definitely more for show than for wood work. It would make a great bench for a handy man helping to keep things organized. With the open concept on the bottom you could put a stool there to work from as well. Small projects and repairs. If I had something like this In my shop it would have some legs probably reverse the curve stating 12" from the wall and run it to the floor on either end and in the middle. Not worried about the studs in the wall they should hold ok but like the solidity of the floor to back it up for any heavier work.

Hey Bois, What you mean the vise is on the wrong end? Oh wait I'm left handed LOL.

For a counter space I wouldn't mind, but then as mentioned it would really rob you of valuable space in a small shop. For a workbench I prefer one that it can get to all sides without having to try and move a project around on.

Hey Bois, What you mean the vise is on the wrong end? Oh wait I'm left handed LOL.

For a counter space I wouldn't mind, but then as mentioned it would really rob you of valuable space in a small shop. For a workbench I prefer one that it can get to all sides without having to try and move a project around on.

I'm surprised it took this long for a lefty to chime in on that comment :)

I could see that being suitable for the weekend DIY Guy. But I would be worried about how well it held up to long term use.

The Woodsmith Shop built something similar as a miter saw stand, but it folded up against the wall for storage.

I'm too chicken for something like this. Apparently, my mutant super power is to not drill into studs.

If you built that in a garage that has one of those little concrete mini base walls you could set the back edge on the little concrete part at the base of the garage wall and remove a lot of stress from your studs.

One thing I thought of is if your shop floor gets wet, it would be nice to have the bench off the floor. Probably better to find a dry place for your shop, but thinking back to my very first shop in my townhouse garage like 20 years ago, the floor was often wet. (It was a badly designed dranage with garages built under the townhouse... long story.)

Well, unless the woodworker is left-handed (anyone else notice the end vise on the wrong end?)

There, I fixed it.

fhwb.jpg

The photo seems to belong in some homestyling mag or commercial so it might just be the case of some clueless Photoshopper flippin' it to better suit the layout of the mag. I tried zooming in but neither the clock face or any text are readable at that image quality.

For a DYI weekend warrior it indeed looks like a pretty bench.

There, I fixed it.

fhwb.jpg

The photo seems to belong in some homestyling mag or commercial so it might just be the case of some clueless Photoshopper flippin' it to better suit the layout of the mag. I tried zooming in but neither the clock face or any text are readable at that image quality.

For a DYI weekend warrior it indeed looks like a pretty bench.

Can't tell with the clock... but the way you have it flipped would make for an odd looking, left handed belt sander, wouldn't it?