Juice groove

jsaltzy

Hi - I'm fairly new at woodworking and would like to know what dimensions (width & depth) & how far from the edge my juice groove should be on my cutting board. My cutting board is 18" x 12" x 1.5" . I plan on using a corebox router bit with an edge guide. Thank you very much!

Hi - I'm fairly new at woodworking and would like to know what dimensions (width & depth) & how far from the edge my juice groove should be on my cutting board. My cutting board is 18" x 12" x 1.5" . I plan on using a corebox router bit with an edge guide. Thank you very much!

What size bit, 3/4in.? I think about 11/4in to the start of the groove about 3/8in. deep. You want the groove to be able to hold several ozs. of juice.

Dave

I have made a lot of "end grain" cutting boards out of some exotic woods and I stayed away from putting in a juice groove. The reason I didn't put one in is there is more of a chance for water to get traped in and seep into to wood causing it to swell and explode. Let the juices flow :) that's why you have sponges!

Good luck