"checkerboard" counter???

So, I've inherited about 30 board feet of 8/4 maple and 20 board feet of 8/4 cherry. The problem is that it is all in 6-9" squares (yes, I have about 70 of these squares)!

I am thinking to glue them up into island counter-tops. My concern is movement and strong joints. If I glue them up with all the grain going in the same direction, then that's a lot of end-grain to end-grain glue-up. Is there a problem using a "checker-board" approach by alternating the grain direction? Should I keep the grain all in the same direction? Or just abandon the idea altogether and come up with some other creative use for them?

Thoughts?

You'd need dowels or biscuit joints to reenforce the end grain and even then a counter top might not hold up.

I am with Beechwood - get a substrate. Maybe a good 3/4 plywood and glue the blocks down. Then you can do whatever pattern you want and it would be plenty strong enough for a counter top.

If it were me I'd also think about other patterns other than just checker board that might work. You could make a more complex pattern if you cut the blocks down (even resaw to 4/4 or 2/4) into strips, smaller squares, triangles or whatever. I'd look at the grain patterns to see where that might take a pattern.

BTW, only 70 cubes wont take you far: http://vivianchiudes...674/Pixel-Chair

Makes me wonder if the "cubes" are inlayed or veneered over solid construction, If it's actually cubes glued together, I think it wouldn't stand up to a heavy person leaning back. Unless there's some sort of internal reinforcement. I know that long grain to long graion glue joints are supposed to be as strong as solid wood, but each cube will have two end grain faces.I guess you could do it with wooden cubes if you built up larger blocks with different grain directions,

It's a great piece visually, but I'd be scared to sit in it! If it really is sturdy, then that makes it even better - sort of an optical illusion!

Thanks for all the replies. So.... I'm definitely going with a substrate of some sort. But I'm also going to play around with a number of different designs other than checkerboard. thanks for the suggestions.

Tobbe: that chair really gets imagination going. One thought I had, once you've committed to such a tedious construction as 1/2" cubes - why limit yourself to such a simple overall design. One could do all manner of things with the concept!

I am with Beechwood - get a substrate. Maybe a good 3/4 plywood and glue the blocks down. Then you can do whatever pattern you want and it would be plenty strong enough for a counter top.

I would be concerned that the maple and cherry will move and the ply won't.