Build a sliding table for table saw?

In thinking more about this cabinet I'd like to build for my saw, I wondered if there was a way to incorporate a sliding table top on the left side of the saw. Right now the only thing I can think of to use for the "slides" are some heavy duty drawer slides. My concern with these is A. are they tight enough that a guy could mount them square to the blade and know that they'll roll square to the blade. Another option would be using some type of wheels on a track. The wheels could hit the track from the sides, and could be adjusted to square the sliding part of the table up with the blade, and hold the wheels tight to the track.

Or a guy could just make a cross cut sled.

Any thoughts?

Aaron

A cross cut sled by anyother name is still a cross cut sled. I have a single runner sled that rides in one miter slot, and I like it for many functions. My primary Sled is the double runner type love it, have made numerous jig that work many diferent functions, like miter sled. It just seems like a sliding table is just reinventing the wheel, but good luck and I hope you make me eat my words. Keep us posted. Dave

Here's some serious DIY with wheels on track (alas not a TS): http://www.cnczone.com/forums/cnc_wood_router_project_log/118739-carveones_steel_channel_rebuild.html

I recently purchased a Mini Max SC2 which has a sliding table but have not looked how the slide actually work. I can take some close ups next week if your interested?

S%2525C3%2525A5g.jpg

The more I get to looking the more I think a simple crosscut sled will do more than fine.

I think you're right. I have both a sliding table and a crosscut sled, and I wind up using the sled 99% of the time, while the sliding table just sits there, waiting to be slid. About the only time I use the sliding table is when the workpiece won't fit on the sled, and one answer to that would be to build a second, bigger sled.

-- Russ