Six-legs.

Dry fitted case.

on table saw

three legs (of course) rest on top flush

worst gap is .009 inches

others .004 and .003

Given that most floors are not float glass

or machinist's granite...

how close would you try to get the legs.

joinery is all over the place, so no good references

except when it is put together,

which is a bit of a challenge.

So if I try to shave the legs, it will be a one shot deal

unless I totally screw it up.

Complicating matters is that when one uses glue and clamps

there can be some minor (hopefully) shifting

Thoughts?

post-357-0-66338700-1310673765_thumb.jpg

Tom, that looks superb. Where are the other photographs? How will you attach the top?

Or if you prefer...

Tom, that looks superb.

Where are the other photographs?

How will you attach the top?

biggrin.gif

John

P.S. Forgive my ignorance, but will the floor you put the cabinet on be as flat as your table saw? I'd have thought that some felt feet underneath would level things out. Hope that's not heresy...

• Like 1

Tom, that looks superb. Where are the other photographs? How will you attach the top?

Or if you prefer...

Tom, that looks superb.

Where are the other photographs?

How will you attach the top?

biggrin.gif

John

P.S. Forgive my ignorance, but will the floor you put the cabinet on be as flat as your table saw? I'd have thought that some felt feet underneath would level things out. Hope that's not heresy...

John, it is beginning to look like a cabinet, but lots of details to go. Including the case/leg glue up. Which my brain hasn't gotten around the sequence and procedure on that one yet, but soon. Many stub tenons, sliding dovetails, floating tenons and some surface to surface glue.

Then lots of details to go and finishing AND photo session. This will be a wine cabinet.

Top is attached with counterbored screws through the cleats nested on top of the legs. Cleats held in with dowels, front fixed, but rear has to be a slot to allow for case movement (front to back).

Floors in our house are very uneven hardwood. Not close to the table saw flatness or the even the cabinet, yet I like to be approaching level when it leaves the shop. But, yes, we always use the "floor" excuse for rocking furniture.

On this piece I believe I will use some felt pads. In early days I did that with most pieces, but lately in my quest to avoid store-bought, I've left them off.

Funny thing is that we have absolutely no place for this cabinet in our small home. So initially it will be in the middle of our gallery/living room for all to admire.

Will try to post some pix when project is completed. For larger/complex projects I usually post a series of final pix as well as some of the process. Cool reference for myself and fun for others who like to see some details of the process. If you are interested check out: http://web.mac.com/tom_buhl/Site/Hall_Table_2011.html

Links on top of page for numerous other pieces created. Marc, has featured a couple of them on TWW site. Fun to see others work and to share my own.

Thanks for adding to the discussion.

[snip]

Will try to post some pix when project is completed. For larger/complex projects I usually post a series of final pix as well as some of the process. Cool reference for myself and fun for others who like to see some details of the process. If you are interested check out: http://web.mac.com/t...Table_2011.html

Links on top of page for numerous other pieces created. Marc, has featured a couple of them on TWW site. Fun to see others work and to share my own.

Thanks for adding to the discussion.

Tom, thank you for that link. Wonderful stuff, now I know what I'll be doing for the rest of the evening smile.gif.

John

P.S. I thoroughly enjoyed looking through your site - lovely work and excellent photographs. Have you considered adding that link to your signature? Otherwise, if it hadn't been for your comment, I'd never have known...

• 2 weeks later...

Tom, thank you for that link. Wonderful stuff, now I know what I'll be doing for the rest of the evening smile.gif.

John

P.S. I thoroughly enjoyed looking through your site - lovely work and excellent photographs. Have you considered adding that link to your signature? Otherwise, if it hadn't been for your comment, I'd never have known...

Hey John,

Here are some preview pix of the wine cabinet. Still have to make the door pulls, a small drawer that fits in the slot above the small case, and a few other details – large and small.

How long have you lived in Verona? I was in Italy three separate times around 2005, but haven't been back since. My travel budget and attention has been going for tools and cool woods. I was doing some travel writing at the time, but while I still have the connections, the opportunities have dramatically diminished.

ciao

post-357-0-50264700-1312121584_thumb.jpg

post-357-0-29061100-1312121586_thumb.jpg

post-357-0-67313700-1312121587_thumb.jpg

Ciao Tom,

Hey John,

Here are some preview pix of the wine cabinet. Still have to make the door pulls, a small drawer that fits in the slot above the small case, and a few other details – large and small.

Might I make a suggestion? Bardolino, Soave, Valpolicella, Bianco di Custoza, Recioto, Amarone. biggrin.gif.

How long have you lived in Verona? I was in Italy three separate times around 2005, but haven't been back since. My travel budget and attention has been going for tools and cool woods. I was doing some travel writing at the time, but while I still have the connections, the opportunities have dramatically diminished.

ciao

A long time - since 1985. Most opportunities have dramatically diminished here in Italy work wise ... and very little light at the end of the tunnel.

Lovely photos of some superb work, btw.

Buon lavoro,

John

• 1 month later...

Ciao Tom,

Might I make a suggestion? Bardolino, Soave, Valpolicella, Bianco di Custoza, Recioto, Amarone. biggrin.gif.

A long time - since 1985. Most opportunities have dramatically diminished here in Italy work wise ... and very little light at the end of the tunnel.

Lovely photos of some superb work, btw.

Buon lavoro,

John

buongiorno John and others,

I finally completed the wine cabinet that you commented on earlier this year. Full gallery of the piece and process is at: http://web.mac.com/tom_buhl/Site/Wine_Cabinet_2011.html

I changed the method for attaching the top. I routed a stopped sliding/housed dovetail slot in the top and made matching (almost) dovetails on the cleats. Thus no screws are necessary and the top is support almost the entire width of the top to help minimize cupping and such. Slightly proud, rounded over dowels (of hickory) are driven through right side of legs and cleats. They are stopped in partial hole on other side of the leg slots. Not glued, but would have to be drilled out as there is no way to grab onto them. Could have made the holes go all the way through to enable punching them through if necessary. I didn't like the thought of that, but now realize that I could have also rounded over that end and would have liked it. Maybe next time.

Hope all is well for you.

tom b

post-357-0-92530300-1317046789_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

buongiorno John and others,

I finally completed the wine cabinet that you commented on earlier this year. Full gallery of the piece and process is at: http://web.mac.com/t...binet_2011.html

Very well done, Tom. Superb work.

I changed the method for attaching the top. I routed a stopped sliding/housed dovetail slot in the top and made matching (almost) dovetails on the cleats. Thus no screws are necessary and the top is support almost the entire width of the top to help minimize cupping and such. Slightly proud, rounded over dowels (of hickory) are driven through right side of legs and cleats. They are stopped in partial hole on other side of the leg slots. Not glued, but would have to be drilled out as there is no way to grab onto them. Could have made the holes go all the way through to enable punching them through if necessary. I didn't like the thought of that, but now realize that I could have also rounded over that end and would have liked it. Maybe next time.

Hope all is well for you.

tom b

I'm sure it looks great in the living room. The asymmetrical design is intriguing - was it your own?

Cin cin!

John