Wood in AZ

Mac

Hey there,

I was wondering where everyone buys their supplies at. I live in North Phoenix and stop by WoodWorkers Source for wood but is there anywhere else in the valley? Also, does anyone have a line on reclaimed Wood? Thanks in advance!

Mike

Hi Mike,

As you know, Woodworker's Source is convenient, very friendly to the little guy, and pretty expensive. I go there a lot when I need just a board or two.

The Rockler store on Thunderbird near 40th Street has some hardwood. They're also retail-friendly, of course, and pricey as expected. Although once in a while they have a deal on reasonably sized cutoffs from a cabinet shop at $2.00 per board foot for common domestic hardwoods.

For a better selection, better prices, and rough cut lumber, try Spellman Hardwoods, on 43rd Avenue just south of Camelback. These guys are set up for larger customers, and while they will accommodate small orders, it won't be as easy for you to pick through their entire stock looking for that one special board as it is at Woodworker's Source. I also don't think they carry any exotics.

Those are the places I've dealt with recently. I'm aware of a few others, but have never visited them personally:

Superior Hardwoods, down in Buckeye somewhere.

Arizona Hardwoods, on West Thomas.

Woodcraft, in Chandler somewhere.

-- Russ

Woodcraft is located on the corner of Arizona and Elliot in Chandler. Take the 60 to Country Club and go South. Country Club becomes Arizona when you enter Chandler. As for pricing and selection, it's on par with Rockler.

A few other places to try:

Timber - On Southern, between Mesa Dr. and Stapley Not many exotics, but decent pricing on maple, oak, cherry, and others.

Chandler Hardwoods - I don't know if this place is still in business. Ran into some legal issue with zoning. Good selection and pricing. Was near the Chandler municipal airport.

Here's a link from my WW club. It lists a number of suppliers, but may not be current:

http://www.azfinewoodworkers.org/Sources.asp

Adam

If you are looking for domestics and quality at a great price Superior Hardwoods is tough to beat! Arizona Hardwoods I think went out of business. American Hardwoods was bought out by McKillican? Spellman's will have a great selection of domestics and some exotics but it takes a while to get in and out of sometimes you even get a free attitude:( If you are in need of something let me know. I am in North Phoenix as well and I am in Superior probably at least once a week.

RJ

• 3 years later...

Last time I was at spelmans the gentleman that helped me out was fantastic.  I was only buying wood for a single project, some wenge and some ash - buddy I was with got some birch and baltic birch ply.  A very small order, but we were treated very well.  Theyre a long trip for me but if I need really nice stuff, I will be back for sure.

• 6 months later...

There is another larger style lumber yard in Phoenix south of downtown called peterman lumber. Went down there once to check it out, lots of lumber they said they have no problem selling to the little guy. I typically frequent the woodworkers source in Tempe and if you go with the monthly sale the prices aren't too bad.

Can anyone chime in if Spellmans, Superior or Peterman's allow the little guy to sift through the pile? The past 5 years or so my WW'ing hobby work has been slow so few boards here and there I go to Woodworkers source where I can sift through and get what I want. I guess in most yards it comes down the forklift operator and his patience to deal with the small guy buying $150 worth of wood??

Its been a few years, but I bought 5 sheet goods from Spellman's and had good service. Just not sure about lumber picking.

Thanks in advance

Chris

• 3 years later...

I use Timber on Southern near Mesa drive almost exclusively. You will find it worth the $20 milling to get your boards planed; a lot of the lumber is pretty rough compared to say, WW Source. I went to some other place years ago and bought about 40 bd ft of maple, but was so embarrassed when he pulled down a full unit, cut the bands, and told me to take my time I haven't been back. Don't get me wrong, he was very nice, the lumber was beautiful, the price was good, but I felt out of my element. Timber is more my speed.

I would be interested in an update on AZ suppliers, particularly PHX area. This thread needs a refresh.

Thanks

• 1 year later...
On 11/2/2019 at 8:10 PM, workswood4food said:

I use Timber on Southern near Mesa drive almost exclusively. You will find it worth the $20 milling to get your boards planed; a lot of the lumber is pretty rough compared to say, WW Source. I went to some other place years ago and bought about 40 bd ft of maple, but was so embarrassed when he pulled down a full unit, cut the bands, and told me to take my time I haven't been back. Don't get me wrong, he was very nice, the lumber was beautiful, the price was good, but I felt out of my element. Timber is more my speed.

I would be interested in an update on AZ suppliers, particularly PHX area. This thread needs a refresh.

Thanks

Is Timber pricing in line with WWS? Timber is closer for me than the Tempe WWS.