All-weather Morris Chair


milwen
 Share

Recommended Posts

I thought I'd post a couple photos of a chair I'm working on based on a free plan from Popular Woodworking (link below). I made a couple changes. One was I used red oak instead of pine since I had some left over from another project. It's not a great choice for outdoor furniture, but it was free and what I had. I tried to be careful to seal all the end grain as I assembled it. I haven't finished it yet, but I plan on using a marine/spar varnish. Also, I added a curve to the front stretcher and plugged all the holes with walnut to dress it up a little. I'll try to post some more photos as I finish it up. I can say it is very comfortable in the reclined position.

http://www.popularwoodworking.com/projects/all-weather-morris-chair-plan

5981134675_3703926bd9_z_d.jpg

5981135607_574907301b_z_d.jpg

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I was able to get one coat of varnish on it this weekend. It really makes the plugs pop. By the way, if you dislike plugs for any reason this project may not be for you. I decided to count and there were a total of 122. 94 walnut and 28 oak in unseen areas. Oh, and there were also two more oops plugs.

5991512358_3746d29a2c_z_d.jpg

5991511592_35d3ac9c04_z_d.jpg

5990958033_aa63e589cd_z_d.jpg

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 5 weeks later...

I just thought of something I forgot to mention. The plan calls for the seat back upper and lower rails to share support with the slats on a single 3/4" cross piece leaving 3/8" for a plugged screw hole. This means the plugs at the top and bottom of the back slats would be right at the edge. Visually I didn't think it would look right since my plugs would be seen in the final piece, and structurally it would be very prone to blow out, especially in pine. To fix this problem I doubled the cross pieces at the top and bottom of the back slats. This allows a full 3/4" for both the slats and upper and lower rails.

If it's going to be painted you could also drill the holes in the slats before they are cut to final length which would prevent blowout. This was suggested to me on twitter by @thegravedigger. He did a complete write up on his build of the painted version on his website http://littlegoodpieces.wordpress.com/. Check it out.

It really is a very easy project. The hardest part is the finishing because there are so many small surfaces to cover. Patience is required especially considering how quickly the build goes.

Kevin

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

  • Who's Online   2 Members, 0 Anonymous, 75 Guests (See full list)

  • Forum Statistics

    30.3k
    Total Topics
    409.5k
    Total Posts
  • Member Statistics

    22,792
    Total Members
    3,644
    Most Online
    Periodoak Antiques
    Newest Member
    Periodoak Antiques
    Joined