Flush Trim Saw Advice

scottfelt

I'm in need of a flush trim saw to take down some plugs. I see a saw on Rockler's site, but it got universally bad reviews. A google search for reviews of flush trim saws was fruitless. I'm hoping I can get some advice from the experts in this community about some options. I'm a novice woodworker, but would rather make sure I'm buying at least pretty decent quality tools and materials. Thanks for any suggestions and help.

I use a "Vaughan Bear Saw" that I got from Lowe's for $25.00. It is a Japanese stile "pull saw". It has cross cut teeth on one edge and rip cut teeth on the other but no tooth set on either side. It has a very flexible blade which is suppose to be replaceable but, I found out that it is cheaper just to buy another saw than to order the blade. I use it a lot for several things like cutting molding as well as a flush cut saw.

Others will be along to advise you on what the best flush cut saw to buy is in awhile.

Rog

I have used several and the far away best I have found is the Kugihiki Saw from Lee Valley. Works great.

-Gary

This is the flush cut saw Chris Schwarz recommends (or the “B” saw on the LV site). He states that most other flush cut saws teeth are stamped and wind up with a slight set on one side of the saw plate even though the manufacture claims zero or no set. So they’re okay cutting on one side but will scratch the surface on the other side. The LV Kugihiki has no set either way (per Chris).

I got mine from Harbor Freight for like $9 works perfect its not like its a dovetail saw or some fancy tool and nothing your probably gonna try and sharpen that gets glue and crap on it why pay a bunch for a disposable tool when a $9 will do the exact same job.

Always nice to have your opinions be reinforced by the Swharz :D .

The Kugihiki also has the advantage of the blade being stiff enough to cut well and flexible enough to get flush. So many of the "flush cut" saws are too flimsy so you end up not actually using most of the saw blade because it so hard the keep it flat.