Renaissance Wax

Just a quick question for those of you who use renaissance wax, how many coats do you put on to protect your tools? I recently switched over from standard wax and am not truely satisfied. It has been humid here lately and I got a little rust on a couple of my tools after switching to renaissance wax, something I have never had a problem with before. I think I am going to remove all the wax and get some T9 Boeshield and start over but am wondering how many coats you guys use. Thanks for the input.

Nate

I don't use Renaissance wax, but recently got a great tip for using paraffin wax for saw decks... grate a cube of paraffin wax and put it in a wide-mouth jar; fill with mineral spirits until it just covers the wax. Leave sit for a couple days and it will all dissolve. Thereafter, it's quick to dip a sock in it (foot removed) and spread a healthy dose of wax on your saw table. I do that then follow up with a ROS with a ScotchBrite on it to clean up, although I'm thinking I'll get a felt pad instead next time.

I don't think I got the tip here; wish I remembered who said it.

I actually got the Renaissance Wax idea from someone living in Maryland. But I have never been convinced that wax alone is really a big preventer of rust in the areas that need it most. The reason I use the wax is not so much for protection, its to help make the surface slick again after using the T9. That stuff tends to dry a little sticky, and a coat of wax (any wax) helps the situation. I just use Renaissance wax out of habit. So if you aren't already, definitely use the T9 as your base protection. In fact, it will be doing most of the protection. Then hit it with your wax after its dry.

its right on the third page of our Amazon store. You can go to the store home page: http://thewoodwhisperer.com/amazon-store/

Then click the number 3 at the bottom of the page and you'll see it there.

Or use this direct link, which unfortunately strips the formatting from the page. But it still works.

http://astore.amazon.com/thewoodwhispe-20/detail/B0000DD1DV

Just a quick question for those of you who use renaissance wax, how many coats do you put on to protect your tools? I recently switched over from standard wax and am not truely satisfied. It has been humid here lately and I got a little rust on a couple of my tools after switching to renaissance wax, something I have never had a problem with before. I think I am going to remove all the wax and get some T9 Boeshield and start over but am wondering how many coats you guys use. Thanks for the input.

Nate

Nate,

I too have notice a similar happening. I have only recoated my tools, but am VERY interested in the responses here. Thanks for the posting.

Gerry

Johnson's Paste Wax is what I used to use as well, I ran out and the lumber yard I had gotten it from years ago no longer carries it nor does anyone else around here and after all the talk about Renaissance Wax and finding it cheaper on E-Bay I figured I would give it a try. When I used Johnsons I never had an issue with rust, but after shelling out the bucks for the new wax I guess Highland will get some more money from me when I buy the T-9-and maybe a few more things ;)!! I get a super slippery surface with 1 coat of R.W. so maybe I will stick with that. Thanks for the input.

Nate