Pipe Clamp storage help!

dinkjs

So a few months back I built a rack of sorts to hold pipe clamps.....

Simple explaination is it was a long piece of board with slots cut out to hold the pipe clamps, and then reinforced to mount to the studs on the wall. Well the rack couldnt hold the weight and came down right when I was grabbing a clamp. So I need help. Need idea's that are easy to build and deal with. It is a 2 car garage and both of my cars fit into the garage. Right now the pipe clamps are all just piled up on a shelf till I can figure something out.

Any ideas would shirley help.

Yea on the top main page on the left with the picture of those pipe clamps...that is the style I did and it could not hold the weight. And yes I have refered to that PDF already...thank you though!

Weird. I built something similar with solid wood and it has been fine. I didn't even add in the little triangle supports on the end. I do store my clamps the other way though, with the pipe in and the clamping part out. This allows most of the weight to be carried on the board screwed into the wall, rather than the flimsy tongues that basically keep from slipping out.

If the problem is hanging the rack securely because you are unable to find two studs, cut a 2 x 4 that is long enough to span two studs. Then screw the piece of wood to the studs. Once the 2x4 is secured, screw your clamp rack to it. Securing it to the piece of wood as well as one of the studs.

Otherwise the Woodsmith clamp rack has worked for me.

If you are unable to find two studs, cut a 2 x 4 that is long enough to span two studs. Then screw the piece of wood to the studs. Once the 2x4 is secured, screw your clamp rack to it. Securing it to the piece of wood as well as one of the studs.

Did that too....the 2x4 is still attached to the wall

Simple explaination is it was a long piece of board with slots cut out to hold the pipe clamps, and then reinforced to mount to the studs on the wall. Well the rack couldnt hold the weight and came down right when I was grabbing a clamp. So I need help. Need idea's that are easy to build and deal with. It is a 2 car garage and both of my cars fit into the garage. Right now the pipe clamps are all just piled up on a shelf till I can figure something out.

Here's something for you to consider. This holds a lot of clamps. I've just used a French cleat system.

post-8-018765300 1282511717_thumb.jpg

Here's what I have, 2x4 lag bolted to the wall in 4 places. This set up will hold me! I know i grabbed on to 1 of the clamps and everything held up :)

post-521-025664800 1282582309_thumb.jpg

I really like NYHump's idea - I have a french cleat system in my shop and built a slotted plywood board to hold my clamps but I like this approach a whole lot better! Consider it stolen - or rather - leveraged as a leading practice!

Pocket hole joinery rules!

I really like NYHump's idea - I have a french cleat system in my shop and built a slotted plywood board to hold my clamps but I like this approach a whole lot better! Consider it stolen - or rather - leveraged as a leading practice!

Pocket hole joinery rules!

Hey Tom

No problem, take the idea and make it better if you can and post it. This was an easy way to get the clamps all in one place and have easy access to them. My garage/workshop has limeted wall space because of all the cabinets along both walls so I have to pick spaces to hang things. Still tring to find a spot for my screw bins. I think it might be time for a garage sale to get rid of the things in the cabinets that haven't moved in years :(