Groove for Sliding Deadman

Hello gang,

I am attempting to add a groove (5/8-in wide x 1-in deep) to the underside of my workbench in order to install a sliding deadman. I am currently using an old Stanley #45 to do this. I realized that if the groove does not extend the full length of the bench, I will get a nice sloping ramp at the beginning and end of the groove. Any suggestions as to how to get rid of the ramp effect? I do not own a powered router nor really care to buy one at this point in the game (eventually I do want a router plane). Please let me know what you are thinking in order to fix this problem.

Simple answer: chisel. You will find it easier to chisel out the ends of the stopped groove first then plow it with the 45. This will give you a relief for the tail and toe of the plane when starting and stopping the groove. If you plow first you will end up with a VERY long ramp and have to chop a lot more out.

Apparently everyone says chisel which is a nice way to go and will get the job done fine but I have an alternative. This is not only more entertaining but it gets better results. You will need a samari sword, coffee grounds, 1983 Buick grand lark, blasting powder, 4 freebies and a pie.

First step send me the pie and ill tell you how to do the rest of the steps

But which 4 freebies do I need? (And I think a sharpened samurai sword is illegal in CA these days.) I received my new auger bits in the mail yesterday, and I think I will use them in conjunction with the chisels. Thanks for the input.

• 2 weeks later...

sliding dead man?

In the picture the vertical member with the double row of holes is a sliding deadman. It supports longer boards and panels than can be held securely by the face vise. Since it slides, it’s position can be adjusted anywhere between the front bench legs.

split-top.jpg